Giant Top VGM Playlist :)

AJ-enova

Not bad overall, but there are games I'm honestly surprised to not see there. Games like Ristar, The Revenge of Shinobi, Phantasy Star IV, MechWarrior 2, Command & Conquer, Diablo and Diablo II, the Guilty Gear series, Panzer Dragoon, any of the Spyro and Legend of Spyro games, and others. And only one track from the entire Castlevania franchise surprised me as well.

It's because good music ties its motifs to specific experiences, people, items, and events. Games, especially, have a great chance to reinforce their motifs repeatedly; you hear that villain's theme, you wanna kick his butt. The legendary artifact you were after has its own recurring theme? Bet you'll recall some of the epic scenes containing it as soon as the first few notes start playing.

On the other hand, it's still very possible for music from games you haven't played to be great to listen to. I've loved the Castlevania soundtracks for ages, but I've only played a couple of the games; ironically, I don't listen to the soundtrack from those. Certain composers have music that span outside the boundary of the game, and are excellent in their own right. Sometimes, finding a great song can lead you to an equally good game.

As such, I'm giving the list a shot, to see if I find any new gems to check out.

Nothing stops you from listening to music from games you never played.

Well most of the earlier tracks ARE from games I haven't played, doesnt mean I've heard everything. Most of them are tracks I heard remixes of and then tracked down. I didnt look at other 'Top 10' lists and average it out.

These are 'My Top Video Game Tunes' not 'Best Video Game Tunes'

That's why I wrote rarely. I also love The Moon, and Sadame, which is from an anime I don't even know what it's about.

You can also get added nostalgia from the time period you played the game, making it even stronger. I know a lot of my love for the Final Fantasy soundtracks are based on nostalgia but I don't think of that as bad.