*NO* Final Fantasy 6 'The Evil Jester Cometh'

djpretzel

Over the 6MB limit, but in the interest of time, let's assume he'd submit a shorter version... if we asked... - djp

User name: Paul138

E-Mail: kwyjibo138@yahoo.com

User ID: You should really tell people where they're supposed to find this.

ReMix of Final Fantasy VI, from the Intro and Kefka themes. "The Evil Jester Cometh"

An idea no first-time remixer should ever have to try to manifest. :)

This mix started six months ago as a Cold War project for school. An option was to write a song that related to Russian Communism, which immediately reminds me of Stalin, whom immediately reminds me of Kefka. After months of recording off my Casio (yeah, that's right, a Casio) and tweaking the mix to how it sounds in my head, here it is for all to enjoy.

I'm not completely satisified with the sound quality, but I'm sick of mastering and EQing and choosing how to mix so-and-so and blah blah blah that this version is as close as I'll get to what I want.

Guitars, bass guitars, and manicial laughter is provided by yours truly.

I know this exceeds the file size standards of OCR, but either djp or one of the judges will have to do custom encoding. I hope it's not asking a lot but I feel the rearrangment and structure of the mix gives the length justice.

Full details and personal thoughts to be released upon posting of the mix.

I hope you all enjoy this, and Happy Halloween.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ff6.rsn - "Opening Theme (part 1)" (ff6-101a.spc) & "Kefka" (ff6-108.spc)

Um...interesting intro using the opening theme...which got drowned out. Yeah.

Anyway, starting with the usage of "Kefka" at :41, this is just rather simplified cover stuff until 2:05, and there's not enough clarity in the production end. Samples are pretty fake at times, but workable at others.

Cute stuff until 2:43 with the music box work. After that we hit some nasty distortion while the brass and winds play off one another until 3:10. Not bad stuff with fuller areas like the stuff starting at 3:10 featuring the cymbal crashes, though again the production isn't hot, so the sounds could be cleaner.

Whatever you decided to do at 4:10 was the absolute dealbreaker. Ridiculously overcompressed bullshit. And it goes on like this until 5:41. More of this stuff to close it out. You've gotta be fucking kidding me.

Anyway, thanks for playing. Being half-Russian with half my family being Russian immigrants, this didn't sound like anything even analogous to Stalin or Russian Communism. The rest of you Js, just make sure the volume isn't too high when you listen to this.

NO

can't load it? take the . off the end of the url, dummy!

the intro was kinda cool.

it got me pumped up for a bit.

craptastic samples, mechanical sequencing, dry guitar tone, and lots of clipping beyond the intended distortion!

there's really no reason to let this one pass...

no

...tweaking the mix to how it sounds in my head

maybe you should get your head examined? (:

uhh.. the intro section alone makes this a NO in my mind. But going on, we have some seriously low-quality samples and production playing a very un-interpretative and uninteresting arrangement that seems to be actually LESS complex than the original. Having just remixed this myself, I'm very familiar with the original, so I know there was almost nothing done here in terms of rearrangement. As it goes on, the poor mastering work becomes evident with MAJOR overcompression/distortion/clipping problems, not to mention the instrumentation is very similar to the original theme. Really, even if you were going for a metal or heavy metal feel..

NO

This is incredibly loud, there's way too much overcompression, there's so much clipping/distortion that it's painful to listen to. The RMS levels on this mix are through the roof. Back down on the levels please! The arrangement itself is pretty decent, but the major mixing problems make this difficult to listen or enjoy.

Best of luck next time. NO