*NO* Final Fantasy 2 'Peace and Pandemonium'

djpretzel

Contact Info:

Remixer Name: Xerol

Email: xerol@lggaming.com

Website: Homepage: http://www.lggaming.com Personal Folder: http://www.lggaming.com/user/xerol

Forum ID: 9335

Remix Info:

Game Remixed: Final Fantasy 2j

Song Remixed: Pandemonium Castle

Comments(also in ID3 tag):

My IMC 20 Submission(never got results...) redone quite a bit, although the basic form of the original submission's still there. The melody's played out on a slightly muffled guitar(intentional) and accompanied by what was originally a piano. But I've since changed the right hand part to pizzicato strings and the left hand to a dual track of harp + woodblock.

The whole thing was arranged in Finale 2004, midi-exported then re-imported into FL, soundfonts applied, velocities adjusted, reverb & eq applied, etc. All in all this is about 5 months of on-and-off work, this being version 344 that I've finally decided to get off the fence and submit. After exporting from FL a little post-processing was done in Cool Edit.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff2.zip - Track 24?

I'm a bit surprised at this track because Xerol's arrangements are usually pretty strong. However, this is REALLY REALLY minimal. There may not be a lot of original material to work with, but this mix definitely needs "more", even though what's there is a good start. On another note, I would try to find someone to play the guitar live, at least, because in its current form, it's very mechanical and not really convincing at all. Finally, there's excessive reverb on the whole track which is muddying up what few instruments are already there. Please go back and beef up this mix - more harmony, percussion, some countermelody, stronger guitar sequencing, etc.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/ff2.zip - Track 12

At the outset, I was enjoying things. No complaints on the samples, but I'm not the guy to talk to about those. The arrangement was pretty good to open up with.

We finally got some additional stuff coming in at :51, though the tempo remained fairly slow. By 1:15 though, the arrangement was getting plodding and homogeneous despite the light additions here.

The louder, more active pizzicato string work starting at 1:37 was a decent addition, but didn't sound realistic when it was very active and only added something minimal to what was now proving to be a very repetitive arrangement.

Just hearing all this pizz activity, the reverb was an issue. The whole track really shouldn't be this significantly reverbed. It just doesn't work. Moving into 2:41 especially, I was saying, "Alright, tone it down in some places to provide some measure of contrast," but of course, it could have done without this level of 'verb earlier on.

We hit an interesting little breakdown from 2:58-3:16 that featured some good escalation. Nice, but why wasn't this introduced a lot sooner? As an ending, it doesn't work. As a transition point building up to something, it would in my opinion. As it stands, the ending was pretty unsatisfying and abruptly structured.

On the arrangement side, since I'm judging it, the mix had some good ideas to start off, but then hit cruise control and just repeated itself. For the casual listener, there was nothing particularly melodic to grasp. Offhand, I could envision most people saying the structure was pretty much random and unengaging. You're gonna have to substantially reassess the gameplan here if you want to stick with this one, bro. You're certainly improving though, and I like that.

NO

maaaybe if this was done live with the passion of a performance... it could pass.

but what does fake guitar, mechanical sequencing, and minimal arrangement offer to the listener?

not much.

I agree, particularly with the first statement. Analoq nailed it on the head. I do think the composition is quite interesting. Also the sequencing is quite good, considering...Production is pretty decent. I think there's too much hall here though. I would have used a combination of delays and smaller room setting. I found it enjoyable overall, but there isn't enough here for a yes. Next time bring the poker ace in your sleeve or blame liontamer for not voting *inside joke*. Keep at it xerol, your work is very promising and you are continually improving in the last few months. I hope to hear from you in the near future.

NO