WIP (TP/OOT Lost Woods Remix) The Place that Time Forgot

shadypickle

Hello OCR.

This is my re imagining of the the theme for the lost woods in both Ocarina of time and Twilight Princess. Elements of both versions are present, although the TP version stays pretty true to the original. I am going to try to steer away from the ambient epiano after this one.

It's still a WIP so any feedback would be appreciated. I have spent a lot of time with the track and a fresh set of ears would be beneficial.

Cheers!

Original:

My Verison:

stats.png

Reduce the file size. I don't know if that's a part of the problem or not but I've never seen a 34mb+ file on tindeck that was just 3 minutes long. Looks like you uploaded it as a wave or something. Whatever you did, bring it under 10 mb...

I'll try to download it tomorrow and listen but yeah that's the main reason why I haven't so far...too huge for no reason.

It's a wav. Don't do that (unless sending a full-quality file for mastering or a collab or something).

Nice work not commenting on the mix at all, guys, as if 34 megs is a lot these days.

Some frequencies in the lead are piercing, you should eq them down. Mixing is pretty bad, everything is waaay too loud, _especially_ the lead. Sounds design is cool. Drums have some nice writing (sound design is too raw tho), nice fills tho pretty mechanical overall, especially in the kick/snare rolls.

Arrangement is basically just a genre adaptation that follows the same progression as the source. Some nice additions, but it's basically a cutnpaste midi rip. You were off to a good start with the chord in the intro, but at 0:44 it's in midi rip territory.

Mostly good sounds, nice start to the arrangement. Mix it better, and continue with a less conservative take on it and you'll have a pretty good track here.

It's a wav. Don't do that (unless sending a full-quality file for mastering or a collab or something).

Nice work not commenting on the mix at all, guys, as if 34 megs is a lot these days.

Some frequencies in the lead are piercing, you should eq them down. Mixing is pretty bad, everything is waaay too loud, _especially_ the lead. Sounds design is cool. Drums have some nice writing (sound design is too raw tho), nice fills tho pretty mechanical overall, especially in the kick/snare rolls.

Arrangement is basically just a genre adaptation that follows the same progression as the source. Some nice additions, but it's basically a cutnpaste midi rip. You were off to a good start with the chord in the intro, but at 0:44 it's in midi rip territory.

Mostly good sounds, nice start to the arrangement. Mix it better, and continue with a less conservative take on it and you'll have a pretty good track here.

I use many different computers. At home, I am gifted with variable download speeds cuz of wireless. Sometimes decent, sometimes not. I'd rather not spend the time downloading 34 mbs of what could be absolute trash. I did download it at school the next day but the original poster has not returned to comment so I deemed my opinion (which isn't much of one) wasn't worth sharing. Leave it to a pro to pass by and say something =T

I thought it was cool overall but that's just about all I can say. Oh and it was nowhere near absolute trash btw.

Hello, OCR. It seems I have a bit of explaining to do.

I see now that uploading a wav file is a bit of a no no. I wanted to try uploading a wav just to see how high a quality file I could get and I thought that tindeck could handle a 34 mb file. When I realized that it would not play the song immediately, I thought to myself, "well if they want to hear it they can just download it and open it in iTunes or whatever" and I left it at that. I see now that it is sort of inconvenient to have to download it and open it when it should just play automatically. So here is a much more manageable file. This is the exact same song as the wav, just 30 megabytes smaller.

stats.png

@Rozovian Thanks for the feedback. One of the first things I'll do with this is re write the drums because going back and listening after about 3 days, I agree that the kick rolls do get a bit repetitive. I hope to have a new version up soon.

I'm not familiar enough with this style to tell if it's well done or not.

What I do know is that the bit of Rozov's advice you responded to isn't the important one: too conservative.

Play with it. Do a little soloing, use bits from another song, add lyrics, something more in the foreground. Sure you've done a fair bit with the backing but that only goes so far.

Not all of us have current computers and/or stable connections. It takes 30 seconds for me to load a video from 5 Second Films, which then runs choppily.

Kick and snare have almost no power to them, especially when there's a lot going on... just turning down the chords and lead would help with that (EQ as well of course), as would boosting the low end on the kick (or if you already have, find a different sample). Then concentrate on developing the ideas, throw some other chords around, mess around with some melodies, change up the synths - make the track evolve as it progresses.