*NO* Defenders of Oasis 'Intro'

djpretzel

Email sub file Defender_of_Oasis_Intro_OC_ReMix.mp3.mp3 - djp

My Remixer name is Syrion

The original song is the Intro of a Sega GameGear game Defender Of Oasis

I have attached the original song that I extracted from the game as a vgm file

You can play it in winamp using :

http://www.smspower.org/music/tools/in_vgm030.exe

Thanks for posting my remix! .....Please.....

Syrion.

Oh my god. You did a Defenders of Oasis remix. I fucking LOVE you. By making this song, I now owe you a life-debt, and I will serve you until such time that my life is of no further use to you.

The biggest problem I have is with issues of EQ and mixing. All the instruments seem to be mixed at the same volume level which simply does not fly with the sensitivity you're trying to produce in this piece. THe most glaring offender are the strings, which are quite loud and overpowering in the mix, when they would be better served under the flow of the other instruments. Also, consider doing more than just single line notes with the strings, as they sounds quite fake already.

Consider doing something with building the drama with the piece more. It doesn't really build, and when it does, it doesn't build to much. Really try to run the spectrum between sparse and complex, pensive and richly evokative. You know: the good shit.

As is, no. But if you quit, I swear to Elune I will hunt your ass down and turn you into my own personal hand puppet.

http://www.zophar.net/vgm/defoasis.zip - "Long Time Ago"

Loads of potential here like Wingy mentioned. I don't think the sound balance was too much of a problem. While the nature of string sequencing exposed the samples a bit, I wasn't bothered too much. Nonetheless, while I like how they sounded, they're a bit too overbearing over the melodic elements. Light audio deformations at :24 & :40; perhaps other places as well.

The tracks sounds pretty good, but manages to drag on without some significant development. Just randomly seeking points in the track (e.g. 1:33, 2:30, 3:28, 4:11), everything sounds mostly the same. Aside from when you added in the strings at 1:11, the flow never really developed anywhere. I liked this a lot, and the arrangement was very nice, but it needs some more to push it over the bar. Very promising stuff, Mikhael. Sincerely hope you work on it some more and resubmit this, or at least stick around the community.

NO (revise/resubmit)

Sounds like there are some interesting ideas here, but I'm with Larry in terms of the structure of the mix. I expected the mix to progress more in terms of overall dynamics, or at least change tempo or key. Though what you have now isn't bad, it needs something to keep the listener interested; some sort of climax or motif. Instead, the same group of instruments play with eachother throughout and no others are introduced. This is not so much of an arrangement issue than a structural issue, again: I think you have a good handle on what it means to make your own interpretation of a theme. Now, try building on what you have by adding other instruments, creating bigger chords, implementing swells in volume, changing tempo/key/rhythms, adding percussion, etc.

To quickly touch on production, it seems like you are using free samples, which are by no means easy to work with if you want to make a purely orchestral ReMix. From my own experiences, I would suggest making use of constant velocity changes, volume automation, layering (ie. two violin soundfonts playing the same notes to create a new, richer texture) and less quantized sequencing - eg. making the solo instruments sound more realistic by slightly offsetting the rhythms of the different notes.

There's definitely some potential here. Keep at it!

NO

Dynamics dynamics dynamics!

You need to pay attention to dynamics. Take the music to highs and lows. This song is so flatline in terms of development. Strings in particular are killing this song. The attack on those strings is too slow. I'd recommend using that kind of string sample for harmonic support rather than counter-melodic ideas. Try a solo string sound for that kind of thing; Fluid GM and Cadenza Strings both have nice solo violin/viola sounds.

This arrangement needs to go more places than it is currently going. Some tempo changes and/or instrumentation additions may help.

Certainly not a lost cause! Don't become the Wingless's handpuppet!

NO