*NO* Seiken Densetsu 'Suite (Adventurous Mix)'

djpretzel

Hi, DJP (or whichever current judging panel member gets this). This is my first submission in over two years--mainly because I wasn't really happy with any of my mixes up to that point. In the interim, I've greatly improved my mastering and recording skills, with the result that I've been proud of my last 5-10 pieces of music. This remix is an update of a SD tribute I made about 10 years ago with Screamtracker. I like the new version a lot more. :)

-steve

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/ffa.zip - Track 1 [:00-:50]

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/sd3.rsn - "Angel's Fear" (sd3-3-12.spc) [:51-2:07]

I don't know/recognize the second half of the mix, but it's probably safe to say that this has medley cover-itis. I'd appreciate if another judge that's more familiar could verify that, but I can't say it's necessary in order to judge this.

The percussion was too basic for the most part, and wasn't really integrated with the rest of the music. It functioned more as a beatkeeper, but that wasn't a particularly interesting role. You just gotta provide more with the overall package nowadays. Sorry, Steve.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Fairly bland overall. Recording is not all that great, drums are VERY plain, and the guitar playing, while not terrible, certainly does not carry the mix which is otherwise minimal. Arrangement is not very interpretive either, with little sign of attention paid to transitions. Fill this out way more in terms of arrangement and instrumentation, or at least go for more interesting guitar and drum parts.

NO

I've enjoyed Mr. Pordon's former mixes a good deal, unfortunately I can't say the same here. The arrangement for the most part, until the ending sections remains a conservative take of the material. I'm not personally that much of a fan of the tone of the guitar, it sounds a bit thin and shrill, in my opinion. Everything sounds also very upfront. I'd like some more processing here, especially reverb and delays. Some padding of some form in either strings or pads would be nice too. The middle frequencies sound really vacant.

I did think the last two minutes here was very nicely handled as far as the conceptual and compositional attributes. But at the end it doesn't save the mix from being a conservative take, up until the end with more work needed in the production and execution department. Pretty neat, but this needs more work. Hope to hear more from you soon, don't stay away for much longer. I hope you consider resubmitting this.

NO