Doubled guitars in one take!

I actually do this a different way, but with the same results.

It's a bit much, but basically I plug my guitar into a mixer line-in, straight from the guitar to the mixer, then the left out of the mixer is plugged into my multi-effects pedal and the right out is plugged into my amp. The I use my audio interface and go direct from the pedal as well as mic'ing the amp so I'm getting 2 takes at a time played exactly the same.

Noooooo what are my rhythm chops worth now.

Actually who wants to use a neck pickup for rhythm work anyway. Might make for some very interesting lead tones though.

I do sometimes, for a very bluesy/rock n' rolly/gritty tone. But it sounds a lot different from the one on that thread, it actually fits the bridge pick-up tone convincingly

I've had as many as 6 identical takes for a super-thick sound. Depends on the sound you're looking for imo.

I was kidding man. But yea, it's true, I seldom do more than two becuase I'm 1) lazy 2) not inventive enough to get a good enough variety of tones at this point.

On the other hand, I have quad-tracked bass, so I suppose I should stfu now.

I've experimented with this idea a bit. Pro Tools 9 has a Stereo Width plugin that does a decent job at fattening up a guitar track. It doesn't do it as well as doing 2 takes for each side. but for songs where you make the rhythm guitar super fricken crazy (IE: Paul Gilbert's Scarified) and you don't want to have to try making a second take exactly like it to give it more meat, it works well. Of course with this if you try to make it TOO stereophonic (i hope that's the right word) it may sound a bit outta phase and really put a damper on things.

EDIT: By the way, i didnt get to hear the track on the website cause it says it aint there. BOOOOOOOOOO!

The idea itself sounds very interesting, although I have no intentions modding any of my guitars to achieve this kinds of effect. I would try it on the better guitars I have and as clumsy as I am, I know it will end in tragedy ;)

For my needs I have enough plugins to make one take sound like two (PODFarm DualTone+hardpanning on one stereo track anyone?) - so I am fine with that I suppose.

I once tried something like that, I didn't really like the result. But I do know of other people who use that technique.

I would think double tracking with the mod in the first post would sound awesome... but then again, I haven't been doing many rock oriented stuff lately to justify taking time to actually study that mod.