*NO* Seiken Densetsu 3 'Lisolation'

djpretzel

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/sd3.rsn - "Female Turbulence" (sd3-2-05.spc)

First impression - too much reverb. It thickened up the sound, but the track was washed out to me. Despite the reverb, the presentation oftentimes felt empty, as the instruments didn't do a great job of filling the space.

Just as I said that, an electric guitar synth and a new lead came in at 1:52 and everything got very cluttered and messy. Can't articulate it well enough, but I did NOT like how the guitar is attempted to be used as an integral part of the background. The note movements are very unnatural and it sounds like a different instrument would have functioned better in its place.

I liked the synth choice for the breakdown at 2:34. With the strings filling the space in the back, this was a nice way to fill things out yet remain minimalist. The pattern there dragged on too long though.

Hearing this track shifting around between ethnic style instrumentation, orchestration, and faux-metal guitar, it seemed like it has an identity crisis. When some of the styles were combined, it definitely wasn't workin'.

Too long, too muddy, too unfocused. The arrangement effort was there, but it doesn't come across as structured enough. Keep on improving, Dan.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

I like reverb too, but this is definitely too much. I also think the reverb and delays used here sound a bit cheap sounding, in terms of sound quality.

Cool flute and flute bends to start off the mix. I agree that once the guitar came in, it became cluttered. Also the guitar didn't seem to fit well at all with the style. It was far too abrasive for the background material.

Great job with the chromatic ethnic percussion, along with the flute, they provide a good anchor for the intended style.

The bass choice doesn't really work for this style in my opinion. I think you should balance the high strings out with either a low string synth pad or cello/double basses.

I actually like what you've done here beyond the mention aspects. I really like the concept in general, but the execution and production values weigh this mix down.

Getting there...but not quite there yet. NO

the reverb didn't bother me - it was that ridiculous flute in the start. it doesn't even sound remotely realistic - those attacks could bring down an elephant with their sharp tips. it made me cringe at first. the brass and strings were like oil and water - you have to integrate your instrumentation a lot more

and when the guitar came in, it just got messy and chaotic. i do like the intensity a lot but it could be done with a lot more tact

that said, the arrangement is solid. i like the idea of the sparse intro that kicks into a hard body. but one word of advice: you can not syncopate behind that electric guitar like that... its too completely weak and out of place for that section. you need something a lot more driving than that. the lack of prominent percussion really took a lot away from this.

i do like the ethnic feel of this but it doesn't make up for the otherwise, lacking chemistry. this has to have a lot more coherence

NO

Ouch, badly used shakuhachi sound! It's way too low, and ends up sounding lo-fi because of the reverb.

Balance between elements really sucks. Strings come on too strong, and don't mesh well with the rest of the song.

Everything gets messy when the electic guitar comes in. Sounds like slayer, but way too muffled; too much distortion on the lead too. Sounds ugly.

Balance issues, production issues. This one's a NO.