The Music Software Deals thread

I would be interested in Komplete if they offered pricing for people who already own a bunch of NI products. Otherwise I just don't feel like rebuying Kontakt, Battery, Guitar Rig, Reaktor, and a bunch of other things. As for Alicia's Keys I bought it, seems pretty good. I'll have to use it in something.

There is a crossgrade:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-9/pricing/

This crossgrade only works for users of MASCHINE STUDIO, MASCHINE (but not MASCHINE MIKRO), KONTAKT 1-5, REAKTOR 2-5, GUITAR RIG KONTROL 1-5 (but not LE, GO, XE, SESSION or other versions of GUITAR RIG).

How are you liking Action Strings? I have Komplete 8 Ultimate, and Action Strings is the primary reason I'm interested in upgrading to 9. Rapid repetitions are so hard to do well with normal string libraries.

I've only used it once so far, but yeah, it is super fun and so easy to use. I know it's one I will use tons.

Next sale, Action Strikes.

Oh, and Evolve is really very good. Phonetic Hero agrees with me. And of the two Mutations, #2 is the better one.

That Best Service would be good if I didn't already have a lot of things similar to Eduardo's libraries already. I wanted that Forest Kingdom thing for a LONG time, but the price kept going up, and I found just getting individual harp, frame drum, celtic whistle, etc. samples would do the trick just as well. I'd probably recommend his stuff to someone who doesn't already have a lot of stuff already.

Also, IIRC, isn't Best Services' VST software as difficult and potentially buggy as PLAY? I've heard that a few times, not sure how true it is. I don't know, Best Service has some good stuff, but even with a 2for1 deal, it still seems a lot more expensive than it should be. :S

Nope, never had issues with Engine. No dongle either. Also Eduardo has some Kontakt stuff as well, his accordion library is the bees knees. Additionally I would disagree that someone with ethnic instruments already should avoid his products, since none of them are general purpose, they're pretty specialized. For awesome ethnic instruments though Tari is the master.

I think you may be oversimplifying my comments there :P. I'm saying if you already have, like, East West Composers Collection, Komplete, ISW stuff, and a bunch of other professional collections or individual high quality Kontakt stuff, it's not really worth it pursuing Best Services' deal to get them.

If you HAVEN'T spent $1,500+ worth of that already, than absolutely get his stuff.

In addition, get them from somewhere like Bigfishaudio.com. After I posted earlier, I happened to look through there and found Eduardo libraries for under $300. Best Service lists similar numbers in EURO, which, again IIRC, is almost 1.5x American currency. BigFish has some really good stuff nowadays at a decent-looking price.

If I'm wrong in this, please by all means correct me. :) I'm just doing my self-appointed service of helping other musicians not compulsively sink their whole life-savings into the addiction of VST buying.

Well then I ask who would need to round out a collection unless they were experienced enough to get a pretty big gig that required that level of specification, or if they were going for a commercial album to that specific degree.

Actually, no, I'll just stop there, because I know I'm just being obsessively argumentative at this point. I think we both agree on something for your main points anyway. :)

More on topic, go check out Bigfishaudio.com in their instrument sections, they seem to actually have some good prices on things right now. "Q" particularly.

Well then I ask who would need to round out a collection unless they were experienced enough to get a pretty big gig that required that level of specification, or if they were going for a commercial album to that specific degree.

This is the absolute opposite of how someone looking for samples should think.

It's only experienced professionals who build collections out of specific and niche instrument libraries. The common composer need only a rounded collection, sacrificing potential depth for being able to work with any instrument he wants.

Assembling collections out of specifically focused libraries is really cost-ineffective and only should be done if quality is an absolute priority. It's like paying for CineSamples libraries when all you wanted was something as grounds-covering as QLSO Gold.

Edited by Neblix

I was already done with it.

Back on track here, I've been hunting for quality celtic flute instruments and I found some that, while really on sale or anything, are still a hell of a deal.

http://www.embertone.com/instruments/ivorywind.php - $10 for the low whistle.

http://www.embertone.com/instruments/shirewhistle.php - $20 for the tin whistle. Both are pretty high quality as well. I'm definitely picking one of these up tomorrow after festivities.