A small question

I'm REALLY not sure where to put this so if this topic is in the wrong spot I ask for forgiveness ahead of time.

I'm considering making mixes of my own but I don't have a good amount of cash to budget for it. So, I'm wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of free (legal, please) software that I could use to make a remix, one that I could (hopefully) submit to OCR.

Go see which DAWs have demos. iirc, FL's demo is a typicla 30-day full version, then goes into some save-disabled mode. it's an opportunity to get started with music without paying anything. Then there's REAPER, which has an unrestricted demo version. Entry-level DAWs like GarageBand and Mixcraft are also cheap options. There's probably some free options out there, but I don't konw how good they are and thus can't recommend any.

When it comes to plugins (instruments and effects), check out this place.

I'm REALLY not sure where to put this so if this topic is in the wrong spot I ask for forgiveness ahead of time.

I'm considering making mixes of my own but I don't have a good amount of cash to budget for it. So, I'm wondering if anyone here could point me in the direction of free (legal, please) software that I could use to make a remix, one that I could (hopefully) submit to OCR.

I answered a question similar to this on Yahoo! answers recently:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ao3w0GEP.6c5.BTDTyIDB.3ty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110103131523AAcUhuu

Using this thread as a reference:

http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1468

Go see which DAWs have demos. iirc, FL's demo is a typicla 30-day full version, then goes into some save-disabled mode. it's an opportunity to get started with music without paying anything. Then there's REAPER, which has an unrestricted demo version. Entry-level DAWs like GarageBand and Mixcraft are also cheap options. There's probably some free options out there, but I don't konw how good they are and thus can't recommend any.

When it comes to plugins (instruments and effects), check out this place.

FL Studio's demo has a 30-day full version? I was not aware of this!

There are some free DAWs out there, I wouldn't recommend them as strongly as I would some of the commercial DAWs, but LMMS is a free DAW in the vein of FL Studio, and though it's not nearly comparable in quality, it's a good workaround. Just be absolutely sure that you put some decent third party VSTs and a whole new library of percussion samples because in my experience the samples it comes with aren't that hot, and the effects aren't either.

Mu.lab has an unlimited free version, but it has a bunch of restrictions on it that would be considered completely useless and arbitrary to many. It's easy enough to work around it, but don't be using the free version for serious work.

Also, if you're into chiptunes and want to try with that, Famitracker is a very solid program for making NES styled chiptunes. If you want proof of that, go check out 8BitDanooct1's channel on youtube.

However, in the long run, if you really want to get into music, your best bet is to suck it up and pay the initial cost for a serious DAW. Music isn't a cheap hobby/profession. If you're not willing to pay ever, you're going to have some serious problems.