*NO* Kingdom Hearts 'Universal Traveler'

djpretzel

Kingdom Hearts. What a wonderful game/soundtrack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

* Contact Info

Remixer Name: SirRus

Email Address: Ravi.U.Sharma-1@ou.edu

*Remix Info

Name of game Remixed: Kingdom Hearts

Name of song Remixed: Gummi Ship, Dearly Beloved

Your own comments about the mix: It starts off mellowish, and becomes more Christmasyish. I started this the night after I got done with finals, thus the sad beginning. I finished this closer to Christmas time, thus the happy ending. Word.

THE SONG: Universal Traveler

THE LINK:

Thanks be to all you crazy cool judges and djp's for taking the time to listen.

<3 Ravi

• 2 weeks later...

Yo bhai-sahib.

This is a pretty good mix. I like the overall texture of the piece; nice strings and piano and stuff. However, that low flute sound just swells way too loud and resonates way too much. Percussion could also use a little variation. Also, the ending is poop. At least FADE OUT instead of just trailing it off like that.

I could see myself YESing this, but I think that there are some things that should be looked at before I do.

NO (resub)

Sounds are pretty interesting for the first 40 seconds or so, though the composition felt random. Sound quality was coming off pretty muddy headed into :48 as more elements moved in, but I liked the beats that came in to help fill things out. The overt arrangement of "Gummi Ship I" didn't piece together until :53. Waiting to hear these winds do something, but everything changed around at 1:16, so I guess we won't be hearing that.

The percussion that came in at 1:15 was kind of thin but decent. Both the bow-played strings & plucked strings that started at 1:17 sounded really distant and muffled.

The beats were still pretty flat in their attempt to support the sax work that started at 1:42, but again, I'm not penalizing for that. Could use a bit more thickness, but it presents a fairly unique sound I haven't heard before. I liked the light glassy noises brought in at 1:41 as well.

Liked the switch up at 2:06 to "Dearly Beloved" a hell of a lot. Very smooth move into the second source tune and much more coherent arrangement ideas and cool sound combinations from thereon. If the production and sound balance didn't sound so messy and muffled, this could really deliver for that half.

The ending was just the song tapering off quickly at 3:41, so you may want to come up with something a little more cohesive there. Didn't bother me too much, but it was still lacking any real resolution. If you worked hard on retooling this one, this would have a great chance at making it. I'll be glad to offer any other comments you may want if you keep working on it, Ravi. I'll be hanging onto it.

NO (resubmit)

Good ole Ravi! I <3.

I really like what you have here. Let's break down the problems here. First the good stuff. Really cool arrangement, neat concept, good instrumentation. This is just very pleasant. It's definitely one of your best works to come to the panel.

Now the problems.

- Poor mixing and mastering

- Everything sounds over reverbed. Everything sounds tiny and distant. This needs some clever use of reverb sends or per channel attention, as well as EQing. For the leads if you're not going for a realistic sound space, consider using short delays, like for the flute. Due to the reverb issue, there's a very muddy and distant sound going on throughout.

- All your instrumentals sound centered! Except the piano which sounds like it has player perspective recording. The centered sound of a lot of stuff is causing a bunch of problems for the mix. Give each instrument its own space in the stereo field.

- Some of the levels could be worked on, at times there's a lot of chaos here.

- Ending is abrupt.

Please consider these issues and resubmit, because there's a lot of great potential here. If you choose to resubmit, you can send the mix directly to one of us judges so there is no wait time. Good luck Ravi, you're coming along nicely. Your last two or three submissions are getting there. NO, please resubmit.

Arrangement-wise this feels a little disjointed.. I agree with Larry's comments on what you're doing right and what you're not in this department. In terms of sound quality, your execution is a mixed bag. The drums are very dry throughout and don't really flow with the feel of the mix, for instance, but the pad sounds and orchestral instruments sound good (just try to center things less). Keep an eye on your reverb/delay levels too, as I noticed the sound getting mushy in a few places. You can try to remedy this with some selective EQing too, by reducing particularly 'resonant' parts of a sound. Like Gray said, I think there has been a steady improvement in the quality of your mixes. Don't let our criticism slow your progress; you're getting closer every time! :D

NO but please resubmit.