*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Lost and Forgotten'

djpretzel

I guess I'll try my luck with this song. Hope you like it!

Required fields:

ReMixer Name: Wild Wisher

Email Address:

ReMix Name: Lost and Forgotten

Game ReMixed: Chrono Trigger

Song ReMixed: Day the World Revived

Comments: Um... I guess it was inspired by the hidden depth behind the actual song. It's kinda like you can take such a simple song and turn it into something huge, like the way zircon and Unknown made their song "When All Hope has Faded." I mean, they took a song that was less than forty seconds and made it over six minutes. I wasn't able to make mine that long, but it's a little over two minutes. Anyway, I hope you can enjoy listening to my song the way I enjoyed making it.

––(WW)

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ct.rsn - "The Day the World Revived" (ct-2-06.spc)

For all the talk about hidden depth in the source tune, this sure didn't capitalize on it. This used some pretty rough original beatwork while barely even touching the source tune until 1:37 (save a brief reference at :18), and featured a disappointing piano finish that sounded really beginner-ish. Um...use the source tune. And don't send OCR anything encoded above 192kbps. 256kbps is too high. Keep at it though.

NO

I appreciate the effort here - intense rearrangement, atmospheric, chill - but it needs a lot more work. Try to work in the source more, for one thing, rather than just a variant of the progression. Expand the structure so it goes somewhere. In terms of production, yeah, the piano is way too dry compared to the rest of the sounds, which for the most part aren't too bad. The drums get somewhat repetitive after awhile, so considering adding more patterns to break up the monotony.

Good effort, keep at it.

NO

The first thing one notices is the sounds of all of this don't mesh at all in the same room setting. Everything sounds disjointed, as if you used completely different reverb or delays on each other. Now this in of itself isn't wrong, it's done all the time in pop music with great effectiveness, but here everything just sounds off. The loop sounds dreamy, while the piano sounds brittle dry. I don't think the loopish percussion works either. The tambourinish/jingle rhythm works to some extent.

The arrangement itself is decent, but needs more work as other noted. The composition though isn't as good. It sounds sparse and thin without the percussion sections. The electric piano and piano is also very mechanically sequenced.

I did like the ethereal sounding synth choir.

Beyond that, average mix, with a bunch of issues. Keep at it, there are some nice ideas here, but it needs more work. NO