*NO* Donkey Kong Country 2 'The Honey Factory'

djpretzel

Email sub file the honey factory.mp3

The Honey Factory

-by thinking cloud

Original Tune from Donkey Kong Country 2

level: Hornet Hole

I tried to stay very true to the original song, because the tune is so classic. I gave it an industrial/factory feel, wich is what a bee hive is basically, a honey factory. Towards the end, i switch to a slower, more floaty style to emphasize the main riff, and add drama.

hope you like it!

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/dkq.rsn - "Flight of the Zinger" (dkq-12.spc)

Nice wind FX going on to intro the track, then some clangy crud arrived at :09 and hung on for way too long. Some stuff finally started out at :41. Pretty crappy to be honest. Some synths fadeed in at 1:00. Wasted practically a third of the track, until a cool pad-style synth came in at 1:15, but it's basically just a cover of the original.

Hahaha; then the a terrible generic electrosynth started up at 1:39. Sounded really bad and was just the original, only reinstrumented. That pad was probably the only cool part of the mix. 2:45 went back to the pad followed by some new percussion and keyboard synths with poorly synched usage of the melody. Nice fade style cut-out at 3:35, but this didn't do enough on the rearrangement side. Better luck next crime.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

uhh.. well, we saw a very close call with Aetherius' DKC1 mix "Clouded Mind and Ringing Ears". That remix used ambient effects and created a soundscape sort of like this one does, but the original in the other case had FAR less melodic material. Here, you had plenty of stuff to work with. First things first; the drums (FL?) have got to go. They're not helping. The synths are buzzy and irritating. The ambient stuff is pointless. There's no cohesion here whatsoever between the different parts of the song, and what's there is just not executed well. I'm in completely agreement with Larry on the arrangement issues, too.

Sounds like this is one of your first attempts. Don't be discouraged, just keep at it, and remember to use resources like our Remixing forum to help.

NO

At first I was really put off by this *especially the first minute*, but after more listenings I got to enjoy it on some level. I think the pads and pad designs are a bit typical. Drums definitely sound very lifeless and dull, as far as sound quality. The transition to the second portion, I feel don't work at all. Also the change up in the drums for a few seconds at that point don't work too well either. I did like the sections with the timpani percussion/heavy percussions and also the end of the first and second section.

Ending was disappointing and abrupt. Below average as a whole. And while I like some of the ideas here, it really isn't executed too well. I think there is potential here with a lot of work and polish. As is though, NO.

• 3 weeks later...