Summer computer sale: 8-core, 8gb system for under 1000$ shipped!

i've got some lightly used computer parts that i'm looking to, ahem, part with. so, here's a sale for the summer!

in short, this is a 2.8ghz 8-core system with 8gb of RAM, either 1tb or 1.75tb of HDD space, in either a rackmount case or a tower. overclocking is an option, as is going with 12gb or 16gb of RAM. the Windows Experience Index rates the processor as a 7.4 out of 7.9, and the RAM as 7.6 out of 7.9 (aka, pretty awesome :<). it'll have either W7 or XP on it, whichever you prefer.

IMG_0605.jpg

processor: i7-860. 2.8ghz, quad core with hyperthreading (so, eight cores). really fast, and has been my primary cpu for my mixing computer for about six months, with roughly three weeks of 24-7 usage total in there. i'll overclock the processor, and should be able to get it up to 3.3ghz or 3.5ghz easy. i'll put a (new) hyper 212+ cpu cooler on it to aid in keeping the temperature down if you decide on a tower case instead of the current case.

ram: 8gb of DDR3 1333mhz RAM, made by g.skill, with heat spreaders to keep the temperature down.

motherboard: EVGA P55 motherboard. it's easily the nicest motherboard i've ever purchased. it has optical and coaxial audio, firewire, lots of USB ports, dual gigabit LAN ports, and (awesomely enough) a small digital display to show where boot errors are happening to aid in the over-the-phone support i offer with all my systems. it's also got a panic button to reset the overclocking settings to stock, just in case =)

case: you've got a choice here. i currently have the system in a 4U rackmount case, for use in a flight case, stage rack, or server rack (like, what you'd see in a recording studio). you can either go with that, or i'll put it into the tower of your choice. note that i can't overclock in the rackmount case that it's in, since i can't fit an aftermarket cooler in there, so if you want OCing you'll need the different case.

power: i've currently got a 430w SeaSonic power supply in there that's part of the deal. 430w sounds low, but since there's no graphics card draw, it's more than enough to run for the long term. it's also ridiculously efficient - over 90% for the load that this computer pulls! - meaning that it generates almost no heat and costs next to nothing to operate on a monthly basis.

hard drives: i'll include a new 1tb western digital black drive, and i've got a used 750gb 5400RPM drive that's great for storage of large sample libraries and backups if you want it also. most people say that it's a bad idea to use a 5400RPM drive in a music computer, but it's fine to use as a backup drive. in this case, since you've got a terabyte of the fastest hard drive you can get, it's ideal for being a backup and secondary drive.

dvd burner: it's a burner. it burns things quickly. isn't too noisy. nuff said.

graphics card: the system currently has a basic 7300LE card in there - not really enough for gaming, but great for running dual monitors (which is what i'm using it for).

i'm willing to sell this system for the round price of 950$, shipping to the lower 48 included. we can work out something if it's to canada or wherever. incidentally, if you're in australia, i might be able to get you a deal on shipping if it's relatively soon.

that price includes the computer as listed above, with no secondary hard drive, 8gb of RAM, and the rackmount case. for the extra hard drive, add 50$. for more RAM, add 30$ per 4gb. for a tower case, add 50$. if you want overclocking and an aftermarket CPU fan, add 50$.

it's worth noting that this isn't really a gaming computer. that said, i'd be willing to part with my GTX 460 - a card that can pound most any game on the market at high resolutions on high settings - for an additional 170$. you'd need a larger power supply to power both that and the computer, so you'd be looking at roughly 225$ or so for the total upgrade, bringing your total from the base package listed above to just under 1200$ shipped. that'd be a monster machine, though, bigger than my gaming computer.

as always, i'm willing to be flexible on the build and price. let me know if you've got some specific interests and i'll see what i've got.

happy summer, folks!

NOOO!!! You HAVE to be shitting me! I JUST purchased computer parts for my new build two days ago from newegg. Mine is somewhat inferior to this build you have here, but just about the same price. It just shipped today... I totally would have bought this from you. As in, right now, boom, Paypal transfer, done.

If you can intercept the UPS truck in Memphis, Tennessee, and "lose" my package, you've got yourself a customer.

• 3 weeks later...

i would desperately love to work with a LanBoy Air, but you'd obviously have to pay more since they're almost 200$ retail, and the case i was including is worth roughly 60$ or so, i think.

that said, do you REALLY need mounting points for 14 120mm fans? that's an awesome case that i've been dying to work with, but it doesn't look like much and it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it clean since it's usually a negative-pressure system and sucks up a lot of dust.

i would desperately love to work with a LanBoy Air, but you'd obviously have to pay more since they're almost 200$ retail, and the case i was including is worth roughly 60$ or so, i think.

that said, do you REALLY need mounting points for 14 120mm fans? that's an awesome case that i've been dying to work with, but it doesn't look like much and it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it clean since it's usually a negative-pressure system and sucks up a lot of dust.

Actually the setup for the Lanboy air is a POSITIVE pressure system. Surprising i know. I was asking because i intend to build a computer near what you're building and the cost was about what i was looking at with my GC and OS. (also its 140 off newegg right now) You dont have to do anything yet but i was curious

Actually the setup for the Lanboy air is a POSITIVE pressure system. Surprising i know. I was asking because i intend to build a computer near what you're building and the cost was about what i was looking at with my GC and OS. (also its 140 off newegg right now) You dont have to do anything yet but i was curious

the issue with any case and a positive pressure system is that there's less actual airflow in the case, regardless of how many fans are blowing in, because there's nowhere for the air to actually flow.

i realize that you'd have to do positive with the Lanboy, but that doesn't make it a better case for cooling. it just makes it a really configurable case that doesn't have any specific purpose =)

as for OS, if you're using one you've already got, no worries, but if you're planning on buying one, i've got deals on them so don't buy it new.