*NO* Zelda 2 'Eyes of a Shadow'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda2.zip

I became a fan of this theme from Pixelated's Zelda 2 remix of it, "Crying Alone in the Darkness". Pretty basic/beginner synth orchestration effort. Not very realistic and doesn't possess much depth, but it's certainly not bad for someone learning the ropes and developing their skills. Needs a lot of work to really realize the potential, in terms of just the instrumentation/sound quality.

The arrangement was pretty straightforward, and somewhat repetitive. Some decent additive ideas were certainly there in terms of the instrumentation, but the mix still could have afforded to take some more liberites with the actual source melody. There was a brief original section from 1:50-2:14, but that was about it. The ending was really flat and was a poor resolution. Looking forward to Gray or Dan B offering some specific tips that can help you improve your work. Aside from that, you gotta get more creative compositionally and showcase your own ideas. Please keep at it.

NO

this isnt bad at all. certainly an enjoyable piece.

the harp is a bit loud. the sound quality in general is rough, but i wouldnt say it's a crippling problem, although the brass is particularly rough (if that's even what it's supposed to be...it might also be strings.)

the mixer clearly has a good understanding of dynamics, but like larry said, there's not too much original material. good start, and certainly there is potential in this artist.

NO

Well now, I really enjoy the concepts in this mix. It vaguely reminds me of our good buddy Shnabubula, in a much more structured way. At times it seems like the low sound quality is used to the track's advantage. Almost like he's using lo-fi samples as a synth. Like the staccato flute that sounds almost like a sine wave with a fast decay. I'm a fan of the arrangement, and of a lot of the sound quality decisions here.

Unfortunately, among a lot of cool shit, there are some things that just sound bad, and not good bad. Jesse touched on the harp and brass. I agree. Lots of potential here.

Hang out in WIP, or just keep on truckin' and i'm sure you'll polish this one up good. And add an ending next time.

NO

-D