*NO* Mega Man 2 'Bubblicious'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/megaman2.zip - Track 8 ("Bubbleman's Stage")

Yeah, I checked this out when Frank posted it to VGMix and played it on VGF54. Nice and expansive instrumentation here alongside the various rhythmic alterations. All perfectly fair game on the arrangement side as far as I'm concerned.

Track does repeat shortly at 1:31, but the melody has different instrumentation at 1:56. I agree with Vig that the track needs more harmony. Didn't bother me for the first half, but rather the second half from 2:10-onward when things became spareser and sparser. Though a bit too sparse sounding, I liked the chill section that closed things out from 2:21 until the end.

Hate to do this, especially after I felt the track was borderline YES initially talking to Frank, but upon further scrutiny, it does need a bit more development from 1:31-1:56 for the track to not just loop itself, along with a bit more substance and a stronger resolution from 2:21-2:52/end. Personally, I didn't feel the track was TOO underdeveloped, rather it went for the quick and dirty arrangement approach, which is fine for me. Just need a little bit more work to nudge this over the edge, Frank. Please consider working on it a little bit more. Genuinely liked what I heard in place right now, and certainly am looking forward to the remainder of the pending MM2 project.

NO (borderline/resubmit)

Straightforward indeed. There are some nice countermelodic ideas. The beats are spastic and groovy, but I think in a good way. There's a lot of cool stuff going on here. I like that buzzy hi-pitched lead; it provides a nice contrast to the fatter sounds in the mix.

I'm afraid I can't YES this just yet though; for one, it's too short. Sounds like you aren't even done with it. The song goes into a chill section, and makes like it's winding down so that it can wind up again, but it never does. Grossly unfulfilling. I'd like to see an expanded arrangement.

Great start, but needs to be longer. Work on harmony and length!

NO

Please resubmit!

I don't have much else to say here. I like the sounds, I like the arrangement for the most part (though it's a bit repetitive). Definitely add some more meat to it in the form of an expanded arrangement some new elements (eg. layered percussion) to make it feel more "full". I like the direction its headed, so just keep working on it.

NO