Mega Man 2 - Dr Wily's Castle (PsyNES ReMix)

Jarski

Havent done Mega Man remixes for a while, so I got inspired to do Mega Man 2 remix this time and long time no PsyNES tracks, but now I'm back with this project!

http://soundcloud.com/psynes/wilys-shroom-castle-mm2-remix

I think I did a good job with this one, hope you like it too!

Tell me what do you think?

Edited by Jarski

Those are some incredibly sexy chiptune leads, bro. I really liked the variations on the them you had going, and the inclusion of the short arching arpeggio as a primary thematic element was a stroke of genius.

One small complaint that I have is that the bass is hard to hear (not the drum, the bass :P). If that causes clipping of any sort don't be afraid to knock the punch of the bass drum a pinch for the sake of production - from the psytrance tracks that I've heard (which isn't that much - just a search on Youtube as a result of listening to your track and trying to get a little familiar with the genre :P) the bass drum generally wasn't as strong as yours, so I think you could afford losing a little for the sake of bringing the bass out, if need be.

Yeah, that's about it, from me. Mix the bass better and I could see this being postable material, actually. Very nice work.

Overall, the transitions are kinda weak (except at 2:46 & 3:14 -- NICE), and some of the sound effects just didn't mesh that well with the mix as a whole :[ Also, 3:23-3:26 is a little awkward sounding. There's one random chip note followed by that supersaw refrain, and there's really no motivation for that chip note or for the supersaw to follow it.

Otherwise, the arrangement is fantastic, the leads are slick, the sound design is excellent. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Very big thanks to your feedback!

Gario:

Yeah I noticed the lack of bass too when I was driving (I usually burn my latest tracks to my car for listening) so I did some EQing, I think its better now.

Ectogemia

Deleted the one random chip note, but didnt do anything special to transitions, I think they are ok.

You can download the new version @ soundcloud description or straight here:

EQ UPDATE: http://jarskie.wippiespace.com/myprojects/PsyNES/PsyNES_-_Wily%27s_Shroom_Castle_(Dr.Wily%27s_Castle_MM_2_ReMix).mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Eep, I missed the update, sorry.

Bass is much better, arrangement is as sexy as usual.

I think the half phased square is a little on the 'clipping' edge, but a small volume tweak would fix that pretty easily. The trance lead is a bit vanilla, too, but I think you can get away with it. When the phased square + trance lead come together, though, it creates a little bit of a sonic mess. Sorry I didn't catch it before.

That's it. I see this as a great track, otherwise.

Looks like Jarski is taking a swing at MM2. :]

My opinion is that I enjoy 90% of this mix. The chippyness and soundscape are really good in my opinion. My favorite part was 3:12 - 3:22 :D

Only a couple things I wasn't really a fan of. I agree with Ecto that 3:23 - 3:26 is realllly awkward. And the sound effect at :19 is very unnecessary imo.

Other than that hope to see this mix polished and up on the site. :D

Nice job!

This is gonna sound weird but when those background pads going whoosh everywhere are more exposed, I don't like them as much... Could just be that they (seem like) are playing the same notes through the whole mix and my ears are subconsciously tired of them by about halfway through. Any way, maybe you could change up the chords or even just notes a tad they are playing and make the progression more interesting? Or have them drop out even when other things drop out... My ears really did grow tired of them on the first playthrough.

Besides that, nice mix, it has a lot of promise.

• 1 year later...

I was thinking to submit this to OCReMix, I've been doing little editing to it.

Added more variations and tried to EQ it better also some little tweaks.

Before I send it, I would like to have some feedback.

If you want to compare it to older version, I put it online also.

New version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24406521/psynes/PsyNES_-_Wily%27s_Shroom_Castle_%28Dr.Wily%27s_Castle_MM2_ReMix%29.mp3

Old version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24406521/psynes/PsyNES_-_Wily%27s_Shroom_Castle_%28Dr.Wily%27s_Castle_MM2_ReMix%29old.mp3

thx! hope you like it.

0:19 - the sound effect should be tuned to be in the same key. Try tuning it a whole step up. 0:41 - I think the wah is a little too fast. Right now it's something like 1/4 bar sync. Try... 1/2 or 1/1 bar sync?

Hey, nice square-wave-sloped pitch LFO at 1:27. I put that in the XY controls of a C64 lead I synthesized a few months back. :D

See if you can find a good layer to add to your kick sample. It's a little too biased towards a dance kick to me. Too thud-like. Needs more glue and high end thwap.

The 2:22 lead is marginally too quiet. Bump it up about 0.2~0.5dB. I didn't notice it until 2:57, but that lead has too much resonance; tone it down a notch. It got really piercing at 2:57 and 3:06. The mixing at 3:16 is really messy to me. Notice how the backing is buried behind the lead and the supersaw lead, like Gario noticed in the earlier version.

Other than that, great energy and arrangement.