just what this world needs - more gerudo valley!

FM

Most likely! Among other things, I guess. Gotta get it as available as possible, no sense in anything else. I've floated some ideas about making it an official OCR album, waiting to hear back from the Deciders

There will be a way on Bandcamp to download all the available tracks as an album in a few days. Since yeah we're getting to the point where it's a hassle to download them all individually.

Anyway, still hacking away at the Legend of Hyrule. Can't tell if what I'm doing is great or idiotic, but you guys'll get to be the judges soon enough!

nothing you have done thus far has been less awesome much less idiotic

bz3eh.jpg

The Sierpinski Sieve (Great Deku Tree (

) and Legend of Hyrule (
)

So just what is a Sierpinsky Sieve? Click through and look at the track art to find out!

This one was a real doozy... one of the first I started on and yet if I didn't have this thread I don't know if I'd ever have finished it. Really tough to give it any kind of comprehensible form or structure without just copying the original notes by rote, which I tend to want to avoid. Still, it has a few of my favorite moments thus far - I'm particularly proud of the the viola transition between the bassoons and the Legend of Hyrule business.

As for bringing back the Deku Tree.. that wasn't originally in the cards, but I had all these unsued scraps lying around from when I was working on "Curses" and figured why the hell not. The tune appears a good three times in the first hour of the game, why not give it a special place. It also goes with "Legend of Hyrule" both chronologically and in the sense that they are two of the few "story" tracks that only ever play over cutscenes.

Edited by FM

These last three songs have been incredible. Seven Years... is just beautifully performed/sequenced (I can't even tell, care to provide some input on your music-making process? Either way, it's a testament to your skills) and so pleasing on the ears. I could listen to this unfold again and again all night.

These recent songs seem like they're more polished than usual, as well. I'm not noticing as many timing issues with some instruments lately, and the production overall too seems to be even more realistic. I absolutely love how this is progressing.

Keep it up man, I can't wait til you start getting to some of the later themes. You're doing great and improving with each song. (just watch your limiter on some of the tracks, I hear clipping here and there! ;-) )

These last three songs have been incredible. Seven Years... is just beautifully performed/sequenced (I can't even tell, care to provide some input on your music-making process? Either way, it's a testament to your skills) and so pleasing on the ears. I could listen to this unfold again and again all night.

These recent songs seem like they're more polished than usual, as well. I'm not noticing as many timing issues with some instruments lately, and the production overall too seems to be even more realistic. I absolutely love how this is progressing.

Keep it up man, I can't wait til you start getting to some of the later themes. You're doing great and improving with each song. (just watch your limiter on some of the tracks, I hear clipping here and there! ;-) )

Thanks, that's actually really good to hear - to be honest I thought I was regressing! Although my personal favorite is still the first track I posted, Kakariko - sloppiness be damned, it was the only one that really nailed what I was going for. But it's still satisfying to give up that perfectionism that always keeps me from finishing things and just be like "damn it, this is it" and send it out into the world. However, anyone is welcome to criticize any little niggling things - these are WIPs after all! And yeah I've noticed the clipping, especially on Seven Years and I plan on going back and fixing it at some point (I'm always awful at that last 1%).

As for input onto my process - some things I think would take away from the magic! but no I'll go into more detail at some point if there's interest (I'd actually like to make at least one post where I delve into my dark seedy past - starting in 2003 when I got ahold of this "giant zelda project" idea that has apparently not left me alone even after nearly a decade)

• 2 weeks later...

i can't goron (i'll goron) (Goron City)

zgqZw.jpg

This one took a LOOT longer than it should have. In fact I had a draft ready way back in November. Turned out to be a pricklier pear than I thought (although the two drafts I came up with before this final version are quite different and fairly interesting in their own right, and I might get around to posting them as bonus tracks at some point)

j7tpC.jpg

One of the weird quirks of this project is that the original material I like least ends up being the most fun to work with - that was the case was this until the very end, when each step forward was like splitting hairs. Anyway it's done now, hopefully the fun I had with it comes across, and hopefully I'll have the fairy music ready for Friday

Edited by FM

by the way I'm also pleased to officially announce that this is now officially OCRAlbumRecord#500002, david lloyd and I just signed this morning, and, and the announcement is that DjPretzel, he himself will personally crafting, he himself personally crafting 500 beautiful 12" vinyl GOLD RECORD editions inside a beautiful 12 inch sleeve modeled after the CLASSIC ORIGINAL zelda box art thing containing a GOLD RECORD and it will personally be signed by me, SHIGERU MIYAMAOTO and god.

Edited by FM

by the way I'm also pleased to officially announce that this is now officially OCRAlbumRecord#500002, david lloyd and I just signed this morning, and, and the announcement is that DjPretzel, he himself will personally crafting, he himself personally crafting 500 beautiful 12" vinyl GOLD RECORD editions inside a beautiful 12 inch sleeve modeled after the CLASSIC ORIGINAL zelda box art thing containing a GOLD RECORD and it will personally be signed by me, SHIGERU MIYAMAOTO and god.

Any of that actually real? :P Kudos if it is, you're doing an amazing job with this :)

for those keeping track, I was supposed to update yesterday and I meant to - but I'm working on Hyrule Field now and it's a bit of a behemoth. should be good though! it's fun but pretty daunting since I want to get all of it in there. it has more content than any other piece on the OST by FAR

hyrule field wise: I scrapped everything and I'm now going in a very different direction. I just couldn't pull it off the way I was planning, so we're gonna do something less traditional. a lot of you will probably like it better that way anyway.

as for the last two days not having updates, I figured I'd throw up two very different outtakes of the Goron cover I did. I salvaged some of the better parts, which you may recognize, but for the most part they're radically different (and much more jam-y, with all the masturbatory noodling that entails). however they also have a certain amount of charm and actually I have no doubt some of you will prefer it to the real version [and if you do, let me know, I'm very curious.] so here they are:

5plyE.png

goron outtake 2 - you rock, rock. no one sits like you sit.

goron outtake 1 - everybody must get stoned

Edited by FM

• 2 weeks later...

Hey sorry to post again without an update, but do any of you guys have any suggestions for improving this project? I could really really go for some constructive criticism. Obviously I'll do the first one: update on time! but I'm talkin more about the pieces themselves and how they come together as an album and how you'd like to see the album. what would the ideal situation be for you? (kind of like my fake post bout the gold record, like that but a little more realistic)

Thanks! seriously I relish constructive feedback

• 1 month later...

Hey y'all, just wanted to let you know this aint dead, and in fact a lot more work has gone into it since we last chatted. Suffice to say MWF updates are probably finished for good - this is the third time I've failed in that dept so I've got to find another way of managing to get stuff out there and fight off my dumb perfectionistic tendencies which never enable me to finish anything.

So for the moment, things are being "restructured."

Also, if it wasn't already clear, consider everything already posted a kind of WIP - many of them will change as I try to make the project less a collection of songs and more of a single thing, and there will also be tightening, cleaning, and in a few cases some major re-recording or re-performing.

For instance, I have a recording date with a big fat grand piano for the title theme, Seven Years, among other things :)

Man, Don't give up hope! I really enjoy these takes on this classic soundtrack!

A few of these songs I felt rather indifferent about in the original sounddtrack, or that I kinda liked, but never thought much of it...

AND THEN YOU CAME ALONG! Man! The sneaky-garden song is great, as well as Kaepora Gaeboras theme...

AND THE GORON'S THEME! ALL THREE OF 'EM! Wonderful!

To a music newb like me, you're doing just fine!

• 4 weeks later...

^Thanks man, and everyone else dolling out all the lovely kind or else constructive feedback in this thread. Honestly it helps a lot, because when I'm at my work station slapping around 14 year old melodies from a game for children instead of furthering my career I can get discouraged sometimes, throbbing love for Zelda or no. Tongue in cheek though, this is actually one of the most rewarding projects I've ever worked on and a fulfillment of a.. well.. seven year quest for me.

Ok so after a lot of time reflecting and recording and ditzing around and even working on serious(er) things from time to time (seriouser than games about polygonal elves I played when I was 10) I'm thinking I've got two better release models that might be suited to my... err.. deficiently consistent release habits. So would you guys prefer:

— 1. a bunch of tracks released in chunks who knows when

This being closest to how I do things naturally, coming up with 4 or 5 tracks at once and then burning out for a couple of weeks.

_____ OR ______

— 2. a track every week at least

(starting at least as soon as I can get my trumpeter to record with me, which ought to be this week but y'all know how oughts can be

_____ OR ______

—3. I start Majora's Mask and alternate between the two games

I was thinking it might help my enthusiasm along if I had the variety of simultaneously playing the "artsy" N64 zelda game and recording that too. Obviously that would slow down the Ocarina of Time schedule but it would almost certainly increase the total amount of Zelda related music released. MM is certainly a less pleasant game to play and I have less nostalgia attached to it but I also think it's unquestionably the artier of the two, and maybe the artiest game Nintendo's made (the Mother series might top it if they were made in house, but hold on I think I'm rambling..)

So????????????????????

Survey will close like in a week or two or whenever I feel like it or if I embarrassingly get no replies

seriously someone better reply there is nothing more lonely than an empty poll

if it helps your consideration the tracks spooning around in the pip line are Saria/Lost Woods, OverWorld, Epona/Malon/Lon-Lon (still need a vocalist though, I had some interest from someone but I haven't heard anything since..), Jabu Jabu, Temple of Time, Prelude of Light and Shiek's Theme

Another unrelated question for those who have managed it this far down the page. Is it time for a webpage of my own? A tumblr or blog or of some such? In answering this you shouldn't worry about my updating the thread, since you guys will always be my priority, quiet as you may sometimes be...

Edited by FM

You're back!

If I have to choose one of those models, I'd probably pick #2 since it sounds like the most consistent and because it would give you some sort of deadline to work towards.

As much as I love MM I would personally like to see Ocarina finished before it gets started, hence why I didn't pick #3.

In any case, I'm looking forward to some new stuff :).