Email: uncomail@gmail.com

userid: 48012

Submission:

Game: Darkwing Duck (NES)

ReMix name: Duck in the City

Original track name: Center of the City stage music

NOTES:

This composition has the general form of 1-2-1, detailed as:

(Intro-A-B-A'-B'-) (C-D-C-D'-) (daCapo).

Intro, A and B motifs come from the source track, but arranged for a bigger ensemble. C is a bluesy improvisation on the Darkwing Duck theme song over the bass line of A (played by contrabass and piano), while D is the development of the Intro motif, thus leading into reprise. Reprise is not 100% pure da capo, as it has slight variations in orchestration. (If this is accepted, I'd rather this autorial analysis wasn't posted on the site, though.)

Original track:

• 2 months later...

The source is pretty cool, and it's a plus that I didn't even know there was a Darkwing Duck game, so double bonus!

Almost immediately I'm hit with how still this sounds, especially if you're going for a blues style. I'd strongly suggest looking into humanizing the parts more, which will really help give the arrangement a lot more life. Most of the sounds themselves aren't too bad, but it's hard to tell with how stiffly things are playing right now.

While this is fleshed out instrumentally, it does strongly remain a cover of the original source. For our standards it needs a little more personalization or original material to help differentiate it from a cover. The C section feels a bit sparse overall. Part of it is how the melody leaves some wide open gaps. Maybe filling in those sections with a response section or some countermelody will help. As it is, using the theme from the TV show is not really allowed for our standards, so if you were looking to get it on this site that would have to be removed.

The arrangement has some good moments, and fleshing out the arrangement for a larger band is pretty fun, but the stiffness needs to be addressed, and there are some arrangement elements that can be tweaked as well.

NO

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source for first section

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Unrealistic sequencing (particularly acoustic instrumentation, e.g. notes use the same velocities, mechanical timing)

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Lacks coherence overall (doesn't "flow" enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE TRACK

[X] Instrument choices

[X] Source tune choice(s)

NO

I love the DWD soundtrack; I played this game constantly when I was younger.

Too much of a cover in terms of arrangement, and then the sequencing is really not good at all. Articulations are really "blah." There's no swing to this. Everything is the same velocity, timing is rigid.

Solo section doesn't cut it either. Lots of odd note choices that don't fit with the chords; not sure what's going on there to be honest.

Needs a lot of work. NO