OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

:nicework: on the upload, Dafydd. There were a few things I corrected in your bio:

- hyphens that act like dashes - were replaced by actual dashes — for improved visibility

- "at great moral difficulty" --> a great moral difficulty

- some instances of italics (they're for game titles and nothing else)

- the Wikiquote link now ends in _(game) so the page doesn't say "redirected from..."

- the last reference's label and link were tweaked for accuracy

Should be fine now.

Kefka Palazzo

ocr_mascot_160.png

Article by: Polo

Pictured from: Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Created by: Square

First appearance: 1994

Bio

As far as main antagonists go, Final Fantasy VI's Kefka Palazzo ranks among the most criminally insane. His gaudy outfit and clown face mask his destructive tendencies, his short-tempered outbursts, and his lust for power that spares no regard for human life. When he emits his signature cackle (so prevalent that it's even mixed into the final boss music), players know he's up to no good.

At the start of the game, Kefka's a trusted General assigned to carry out the dirty work of Emperor Gestahl. The assignment: to extend the Empire's influence by harnessing and manipulating the force of magic however possible. Creatures that are naturally capable of controlling magic, Espers, are snagged, studied, and raped of their metaphysical potential, which is then transferred into the skill set of everyone loyal to the Emperor. When Kefka first received his share, something inside him snapped, and he desired more power still. It was the beginning of the end of the World of Balance.

Kefka deals with every obstacle swiftly and in his own sadistic manner. When he suspects a king is hiding a person vital to the Empire, he sets his castle aflame to smoke out the individual. To bring an end to another castle's resistance, he poisons their drinking water to make them drop one after another. He doesn't directly fight often, instead choosing to run or have soldiers fight in his stead, but he's not above slaying his own allies if it'll add to his share of spoils. Such is the extent of the General's war crimes that he rearranges the face of the world on both large and small scales, in the process becoming a godly end boss with a sublime command of magic. And with it, he raises his glass to nihilism as he continues to destroy all he wants.

"Hee, hee! Nothing can beat the music of hundreds of voices screaming in unison!"

Selected game appearances

=== Super NES ===

Final Fantasy VI (1994)

References

Final Fantasy Wiki - "Kefka Palazzo"

Wikipedia - "Kefka Palazzo"

Badass of the Week: Kefka Palazzo (Cefka)

Edited by Polo
Good catch, Dafydd

Thanks for fixing up my bio. I actually thought you could say "at great difficulty", but perhaps it doesn't fit there.

Such are the extent of the General's war crimes

Even though "war crimes" is plural, "extent" is singular, so shouldn't it be "such is the extent"?

Other than that, excellent work as per usual. It's a shame you're not a ReMixer, Polo :<

Ah yes, it should be singular. "Such is the extent..." Yeah, I was probably latching onto the plural "war crimes" and not "extent." Good catch.

Also, you can say "at great difficulty," but not "at great moral difficulty."

I was wondering when you would make a comeback, Arek. It gladdens my heart to see you're still in the game. Here's your notes:

- Agent is spelled with one G, not two.

- "implanted as her left eye" --> implanted in her left eye

- "an extremely tricky opponent" --> "a tricky opponent" would work better because "extremely" would be debatable to Street Fighter pros.

- "shoot or store fireballs from her feet at three different angles" --> It sounds like she stores fireballs from different angles. Do you mean she stores fireballs in her feet and shoots them at three different angles?

- "well accepted" --> add a hyphen (well-accepted)

The good news is that you adequately trimmed down the paragraph about her backstory that gave you so much trouble. Mysterious yet purposeful = enticing without spoilers. I can also imagine how scary M. Bison and Shadoloo are from this description - one encounter crushes your life and turns you into a fighter seeking revenge. Wow.

After this round of cleanup (as long as you clarify that fourth note), Juri Han will most certainly be ready for the Wiki. Go for it.

lol at the typos. this is what i get for trying to type after doing a good load of studying. :3

and yup, she can store up to three fireballs, one for each kick button, and launch them at different angles depending on the kick.

Edited as requested by the awesome Polo:

ocr_mascot_153.png

Juri Han

Article by: Arek The Absolute

Pictured from: Super Street Fighter IV

Created by: Capcom

First appearance: 2010

Bio

Beautiful, enticing, and deadly, Juri Han is a woman who proves that roses do have thorns. She enters the second chapter of Capcom's Street Fighter IV with a bang.

Working under a man named Seth as an agent of S.I.N. under the very appropriate alias, "Spider", Juri is a character shrouded in mystery. As dark and maniacal as she is, Juri once lived life as a normal girl, but just as with Chun-Li, her life made a tragic twist once M. Bison and Shadaloo came into the picture. Juri's intentions for entering the tournament are fittingly mysterious, but whatever they may be, encountering M. Bison is definitely a key motivation.

Juri uses Tae Kwon Do as her fighting style of choice, a first for the Street Fighter scene. Many fans of fighting games will immediately draw parallels to SNK's own Kim Kaphwan, but she has more than enough merits to label her unique, as if Capcom was making her a cross-company foil. While Kim Kaphwan fights for justice and epitomizes "honor" in every sense of the word, Juri, staying true to her alias of "Spider", is cold and merciless, always toying with her prey after decimating them in combat. Compassion is a word she eliminated from her dictionary long ago.

Not only different in demeanor from Kim, Juri is far more offensive and crafty, utilizing the "Feng Shui System" implanted in her left eye to its fullest extent. She excels at both close and long-range combat, making her a tricky opponent to fight against. Quick and agile, she can to rack up combos and confuse her opponents. With the "Feng Shui System", she is able to empower her pinwheel-esque spin move Senpusha, and can keep her opponents at bay using Fuhajin, a technique allowing her to store fireballs in her feet and shoot them at three different angles. Intended by game producer Yoshinori Ono to be a character who is easily accessible to those newer to fighting games, Juri is a character that is easy to pick up, yet hard to master, making her a well-accepted addition to the vast cast of the Street Fighter series.

"I enjoyed hearing you scream. I'm looking forward to hearing it again."

Xbox 360

References

Edited by Arek the Absolute

I'd like to see some of those "is able to" switched for "can" or removed altogether, especially when you have it twice in the same sentence, but that's just me. Try

she is able to empower her pinwheel-esque spin move Senpusha, and can keep her opponents at bay using Fuhajin

or even

she can empower her pinwheel-esque spin move Senpusha, and keeps her opponents at bay using Fuhajin

just to demonstrate my point.

Overall, there's a few parts that bother me a little, like "is a woman that proves that", "but one that is clear, is that", "is a word that she". But I'm not generally a fan of the word "that", one I prefer to omit whenever possible. It's all a matter of style, and your choice. I just thought I should point it out while I still can.

Edited by Dafydd

And Juri Han's finally been uploaded, taking into account Dafydd's feedback as well. One thing I should mention is that "Feng Shui Engine" comes up far more than "Feng Shui System" in a Google search, so I went with that instead.

Anyway, cheers, Arek. :nicework:

Extremely rough version. I think I'm need of a little direction on this one before I continue, so feel free to offer any advice you've got. Apologies for the delay.

ocr_mascot_162.png

Phoenix Wright

Article by: Taylor Lake (Darklink42)

Pictured from: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

First appearance: 2001

Bio

When it was first ported overseas to America, there was some doubt about how Ace Attorney series would be received. Now known for its over-the-top court room cases, excellent storytelling, and huge cast of memorable characters, the series and Phoenix Wright himself has become a well known name to gamers. In particular, his trademark shout of “Objection!” and his finger pointing, full arm thrust have become popular icons among gamers and internet surfers alike.

Phoenix Wright is a defense lawyer who takes on cases that often seem hopeless. His ability to turn crushing loss into success is the reason why every case is referred to as a “turnabout”. Despite this, he’s not a very confidant man when put under the gun, often having to rely on his friends to point out where he’s gone wrong. But he believes very firmly in the innocence of his clients, and isn’t afraid to argue against everyone he knows to prove it. Outside of the courtroom, he is a genuinely caring man who looks after those who have been wronged. He is, however, generous to a fault, often forced to buy or pay for things that his friends want.

The series itself focuses on Phoenix Wright and various trials throughout his career which have brought him into contact with some of his closest friends and allies. The Fey family, for instance, play a major role in his life. Mia Fey acts as his mentor and friend, but it is her younger sister Maya, who is his constant companion. She tags along as his partner, providing helpful advice and counter-pointing Phoenix’s often dry observations with her own quirky observations. Among his other allies are the bumbling but loyal Detective Dick Gumshoe, his fiercest competitor Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth, and the ever troublemaking Larry Butz.

" Take That!”

Phoenix Wright (2001)

References

Wikipedia- "Phoenix Wright"

Court Records Profile- "Phoenix Wright"

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Instruction Manual

HOLD IT! *slaps hands on table*

(a.k.a. feedback)

- I went and checked, and that mascot image is actually from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations.

- Care to elaborate on how and why the series was thought not to be well-received at first? Like, the courtroom might be a controversial setting for an adventure game? Americans jaded by courtroom dramas? The characters' names and the game dialogue too difficult to translate faithfully? The first sentence is an unresolved cliff-hanger.

- "excellent storytelling" --> "Excellent" is more opinion than fact. Is it fast-paced? Does it allow multiple resolutions? Is the atmosphere tense and true to a courtroom case? Specify.

- "the series and Phoenix Wright himself has become" --> You mean have become, since you're grouping 1) the series and 2) Phoenix Wright as two items.

- "well known" --> add a hyphen (well-known)

- "and his finger pointing, full arm thrust have become" --> The part "full arm thrust" after the comma doesn't feel secured. Either add a comma after "thrust" or cut the comma already there and add "with his" to make the clause complete.

- Out of curiosity, why add "internet surfers" to the mix? I mean, sure, it's true, what with internet memes and the Phoenix Wrong parodies and so on, but it might be more accurate if you said the internet community rather than surfers. The current wording just raised an eyebrow.

- "turnabout". --> We talked about this before - the period goes within the quote marks, remember?

- confidant --> confident (E, not A)

- "The Fey family, for instance, play a major role" --> I might be wrong on this, but isn't the Fey family referred to as one item, meaning it should be followed by a singular S-ending verb (plays)? "The family plays a major role..." is the wording I imagine. If you said "the people/members of the Fey family..." then it would end in a plural non-S-ending verb (play). I think British English accepts "the family play a major role..." as grammatically correct, however.

- "but it is her younger sister Maya, who is his constant companion" --> Either cut the comma here or add another after the word "sister."

- counter-pointing --> Counterpointing doesn't have a hyphen.

- So Miles Edgeworth is an ally at one point? If so, you might need to explain how and when he sides with Phoenix, because anyone not in the know would end up confused on the prosecutor's stance. Maybe put him at the end of the list, along with an aside or footnote-ish tidbit.

- I'm familiar with the lawyer's quote, but it's not unique enough to him. Anyone can say "take that!" in any number of situations. The Phoenix Wright series has tons of dialogue, I'm aware, and something specific that only he would say would fit better.

- A linked game in the Selected game appearances list requires its full title (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney), the system above it (Nintendo DS, according to what's at the end of its link), and the correct year of release (2005 for the DS port, not 2001).

Since the series is rife with case study spoilers, you made the right choice to focus on Phoenix's character and his relationships with friends/enemies. If you feel it's not enough, you can add how he got his start as a lawyer or what influenced him to become one, if it's simple enough. And perhaps you can give an overview about how the games play out. You know, how you gather and present evidence, how cross-examinations work, what happens if the player screws up on an accusation, etc.

STYLE CHANGES

http://ocremix.org/info/Kefka_Palazzo

Move the quote up top and make it it's own italicized section header, i.e.

== ''"QUOTATION STUFF"'' ==

Quotes look silly having their own section, plus it's cooler to have them up top, makeing it more compelling to read the subsequent bios.

Also, for all first mentions of the character name in the article, please bold the name, i.e.

'''Kefka Palazzo'''

Thanks to anyone who can help! I think these are small but important revisions. To keep easy track of this, work alphabetically. I've done N-Z.

Edited by Liontamer

I actually go by mascot number (from 001 onwards), not alphabetically. That's how I ordered it in one of my TXT files that contains a copy of every article's Wiki source code. Just saying.

The bios are certainly more attention-grabbing with the quotes more prominently featured. Moving the quotes and bolding the initial mascot name appearances have both been finished.

Also, I removed Ness's quote because it goes against the last part of his bio ("Ness does not talk during the entirety of the game...").

Also, I removed Ness's quote because it goes against the last part of his bio ("Ness does not talk during the entirety of the game...").

Apparently, he says/thinks that to himself in a dream at the end of EarthBound. He just didn't speak or have his thoughts presented for most of EarthBound. He's talked in the Smash series, so he's not entirely mute throughout his character history. So there's no reason there shouldn't at least be something in the way of a quote. If it's a matter of using a legitimate quote or attempting to make a sentence "true" through omission, go with the former. :-)

Apparently, he says/thinks that to himself in a dream at the end of EarthBound. He just didn't speak or have his thoughts presented for most of EarthBound. He's talked in the Smash series, so he's not entirely mute throughout his character history. So there's no reason there shouldn't at least be something in the way of a quote. If it's a matter of using a legitimate quote or attempting to make a sentence "true" through omission, go with the former. :-)

Points taken. I reinstated his quote and reworded the bio's final sentence for accuracy. :)

Btw, Voldo only emits gags/hacks/breaths of hot air that aren't precisely unique to him or even understandable English. (I mean, his mouth's covered like his eyes.) So his "quote" is not practically serviceable. :(

Uh I just clicked the HUnewearl (Mascot 027 apparently) from Phantasy Star Online, and there's no mention of PSO Episodes I&II on Gamecube, only on the Xbox. I own the Gamecube version, in case there's any doubt. :-)

I know, I'm just nitpicking. :razz:

True, it's ported to both systems. I just put it under Xbox for variety (apart from Dreamcast and GameCube) and because the GameCube version isn't remixed on OCR (if it was, it would be properly listed and linked).

It's funny how this project sees no action at all for long streches of time and then suddenly all hell breaks loose. Thanks for updating the bios according to the new guidelines!

I like the Phoenix Wright bio, aside from a few misspelled words and missing "the". Fix it up according to Polo's suggestions and let us have a look at the result! :)

It's funny how this project sees no action at all for long streches of time and then suddenly all hell breaks loose. Thanks for updating the bios according to the new guidelines!

I like the Phoenix Wright bio, aside from a few misspelled words and missing "the". Fix it up according to Polo's suggestions and let us have a look at the result! :)

Should have it fixed up by tonight and posted.

Edit: I actually have a question if anyone knows the answer. Was Phoenix Wright the first game to be set almost entirely in the courtroom? I think it was, but I haven't been able to find a lot of reliable information to confirm or deny that idea.

Edited by Darklink42

Hey Polo, thanks for the look up on the picture. I assumed it was the same one as the instruction manual for the first game without looking closely at the one we're using. I chose the word "surfers" originally as a way to avoid using the word "meme" in the article. I realized later that it's kind of a dated term at this point, and felt kind of old. Also, is the second sentence alright, or should I attempt to explain better why the adventure game genre was considered outdated before this and a couple of other games were released?

Phoenix Wright

" I was hoping I'd come up with a question while pounding on my desk ... I didn't.”

ocr_mascot_162.png

Article by: Taylor Lake (Darklink42)

Pictured from: Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

First appearance: 2001

Bio

When it was first ported overseas to America, there was some doubt about how the Ace Attorney series would be received. It was a pure adventure game, an entry into a genre which had been all but replaced by action-adventure and role-playing games, along with the advent of more powerful gaming platforms. Now known for its over-the-top courtroom cases, expert blend of dark scenarios and humorous storytelling, and huge cast of memorable characters, the series and Phoenix Wright himself have become a familiar name to gamers. In particular, his trademark shout of “Objection!” with his finger pointing, full arm thrust have become popular icons among gamers and the internet community alike.

Phoenix Wright is a defense lawyer who takes on cases that often seem hopeless. His ability to turn crushing loss into success is the reason why every case is referred to as a “turnabout.” Despite this, he’s not a very confident man when put under the gun, often having to rely on his friends to point out where he’s gone wrong. Phoenix makes up for his flaws by believing very firmly in the innocence of his clients, and is willing to argue against everyone he knows to prove it. Outside of the courtroom, he is a genuinely caring man who looks after those who have been wronged. He is, however, generous to a fault, often ending up paying for things that his friends want.

The series itself focuses on Phoenix Wright and the various trials throughout his career which have brought him into contact with some of his closest friends and allies. The Fey family, for instance, plays a major role in his life, starting when Mia Fey defends Phoenix in court. Once he decides to become a lawyer, Mia acts as his boss, mentor, and best friend. Despite that, it is her younger sister Maya that becomes his constant companion. She tags along as his partner, providing helpful advice and counterpointing Phoenix’s often dry observations with her own quirky ones. Among his other allies are the bumbling but loyal Detective Dick Gumshoe, the ever troublemaking Larry Butz, and his fiercest competitor, Prosecutor Miles Edgeworth, who has come to respect Phoenix and even act as a reluctant ally after losing several cases against him.

Nintendo DS

-Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (2005)

References

Wikipedia- "Phoenix Wright"

Court Records Profile- "Phoenix Wright"

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Instruction Manual

Edited by Darklink42

Also, is the second sentence alright, or should I attempt to explain better why the adventure game genre was considered outdated before this and a couple of other games were released?

Yeah, I think a clearer explanation is in order. A genre having only a handful of titles for it doesn't always mean one more addition will suck (if, say, every previous title is awesome). If you mean to say the genre's scope is generally restricting/difficult/tedious - and that the Ace Attorney games take place in the courtroom, one of the most serious places on earth - it might help answer the first sentence's hidden question.

- "1990’s and early 2000’s" --> You actually don't need apostrophes when describing decades; "1990s and early 2000s" works.

- "Court room" is actually one word (courtroom)

- "buy or pay for" --> These sound like the same thing. I think "pay for" would cover all bases re expenses.

- trouble-making --> You had it right before; there's no hyphen in troublemaking.

- "competitor Prosecutor" --> I think a comma would help here, since you put two descriptive nouns together. You can't be a competitor Prosecutor, but you can be a competitor AND a Prosecutor.

So yeah, the first note's a point of contention right now. But the rest of the article's certainly improved.

Guybrush Threepwood

"I may be a dunce, but at least I'm a mighty pirate dunce!"

ocr_mascot_159.png

Article by: Polo

Pictured from: Tales of Monkey Island

Created by: LucasArts

First appearance: 1990

Bio

Guybrush Threepwood, self-proclaimed "mighty pirate," is the protagonist of every Monkey Island game. Although his appearance changes along with the art style in each installment, he maintains his cheerful disposition, his wit, and his proud ability to hold his breath for ten minutes.

In the first game, The Secret of Monkey Island, Guybrush is a castaway on Mêlée Island with a burning urge to be a swashbuckler. To prove himself worthy, he must complete the three trials of piratehood: swordplay (besting the Sword Master in combat), thievery (stealing a relic from the Governor's mansion), and treasure huntery (finding the titular secret of Monkey Island). Along the way, he falls in love with the Governor, Elaine Marley, and rescues her from the ghost pirate LeChuck, the main antagonist of the series. In life and death, LeChuck has become the most feared pirate in the Caribbean, at least until Guybrush foils his plans, and in later games, he seeks to master the darkest voodoo arts in an effort to both reclaim control of the seas and rid himself of the lad. Fortunately, Guybrush is backed by his share of crew members and recurring allies on his adventures, including the Voodoo Lady, the mapmaker Wally B. Feed, the hermit Herman Toothrot, and of course his "plunderbunny" Elaine.

Through the combined use of the point-and-click interface and the humorous writing style of many LucasArts titles, Guybrush builds his reputation as a buccaneer to be reckoned with. If he can't afford a ship, he'll sail waters in a fitting substitute, like a coffin or a bumper car or even a child's flotation device. His pockets are deep and plentiful, and he plunders anything useful to solve a puzzle, such as a live monkey, a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle, and a person's spit. When talking to other characters, the player's response choices can range from direct to colorfully non sequitur — in particular, a sport called insult swordfighting requires the delivery of scathing retorts to match the opponent's in order to win a sword duel. And if all else fails, our hero can resort to selling someone some fine leather jackets, or he can distract them with "look behind you, a three-headed monkey!"

=== DOS ===

The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)

Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991)

=== Windows ===

The Curse of Monkey Island (1997)

Escape from Monkey Island (2000)

Tales of Monkey Island (2009)

References

Wikipedia - "Guybrush Threepwood"

The Monkey Island SCUMM Bar - "The Secret of Monkey Island"

LucasArts.com | The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition

Wikiquote - "Monkey Island"

Edited by Polo