OCR Mascot Bios - 20 more up for grabs!

Dafydd

Revised, spoiler free Saria.

Saria

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot125.jpg

Saria is a supporting character in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. A childhood friend of Link, she is one of the Kokiri tribe, a group of fairy folk whose beliefs state that they will die if they leave Kokiri Forest. The beginning of Link’s adventure caused a separation between the two early on in the game, with Saria giving him the Fairy Ocarina as a memento. The two could communicate telepathically by playing Saria’s song.

As a Kokiri, Saria is protected by the father of the forest, the Great Deku Tree. His existence keeps the forces of evil at bay in the forest. The Kokiri, being an ageless race, never grow old, keeping their childlike physique through different time periods.

Saria’s role in Link’s quest is to give help and advice as much as she can; perhaps her friendship is more important than Link initially realises. It is presumed that Saria’s story lives on in the world of Hyrule; one of the towns in Adventure of Link is named after her.

As a character, Saria has only appeared in Ocarina of Time, but Saria’s Song has recently appeared in Super Smash Bros Melee.

Quote: “Oh, you're leaving.”

Source:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time characters Wikipedia page

Games Saria has appeared in:

NINTENDO 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

Revised, spoiler free Saria.

Saria

NINTENDO

ocr4_mascot125.jpg

Saria is a supporting character in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. A childhood friend of Link, she is one of the Kokiri tribe, a group of fairy folk whose beliefs tell that they will die if they leave Kokiri Forest. The beginning of Link’s adventure caused a separation between the two early on in the game, with Saria giving him the Fairy Ocarina as a memento. The two could communicate telepathically by playing Saria’s song.

As a Kokiri, Saria is protected by the father of the forest, the Great Deku Tree. His existence keeps the forces of evil at bay in the forest. The Kokiri, being an ageless race, never grow old, keeping their childlike physique through different time periods.

Saria’s role in Link’s quest is to give help and advice as much as she can; perhaps her friendship is more important than Link initially realises. It is presumed that Saria’s story lives on in the world of Hyrule; one of the towns in Adventure of Link is named after her.

Saria’s as a character has only appeared in Ocarina of Time, but Saria’s Song has recently appeared in Super Smash Bros Melee.

Quote: “Oh, you're leaving.”

Source:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time characters Wikipedia page

Games Saria has appeared in:

NINTENDO 64

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)

This article looks great, but a few sentences look awkward.

In the first sentence I've bolded, instead of the phrase "that they," how about replacing it with "state?" "a group of fairy folk whose beliefs state they will die if they leave Kokiri Forest." I also suggest adding the word "with" where I've bolded it to make the sentence flow better.

Secondly, you've spelled "realizes" wrong in the third paragraph. I've also suggested adding the word "is" in the last line. A semicolon is also needed in that sentence.

In the final paragraph, "Saria's as a character..." sounds terribly awkward when spoken out loud. I suggest the following revision: "As a character, Saria has only appeared in Ocarina of Time, but Saria’s Song has recently appeared in Super Smash Bros Melee.

Of course, these are just my own grammar-Nazi suggestions. Other than these qualms, it's a fantastic article.

Man, I should have worked on this project a long time ago. Nitpicking other people's spelling and grammar is my forte.

Thanks for the input. If you're interested in editing at large, we might have a place for you, depending on how much time the regulars have for editing. I suppose it's ultimately up to Dafydd. Please don't post specific edits, though, because there'd be too many of them.

About your edits: your first revision just replaces the word "tell" with the word "state" and then removes the grammatically-important word "that"; watkinzez is from Australia, where they use British spellings such as "realise," and I decided to leave those regional differences alone; if you remove the erroneous apostrophe and "s" from the last sentence, it works fine, I think.

Edit: dueling grammar-nazis

Thanks for the input. If you're interested in editing at large, we might have a place for you, depending on how much time the regulars have for editing. I suppose it's ultimately up to Dafydd. Please don't post specific edits, though, because there'd be too many of them.

About your edits: your first revision just replaces the word "tell" with the word "state" and then removes the grammatically-important word "that"; watkinzez is from Australia, where they use British spellings such as "realise," and I decided to leave those regional differences alone; if you remove the erroneous apostrophe and "s" from the last sentence, it works fine, I think.

Edit: dueling grammar-nazis

*strums Dixie on his banjo*

I forgot about regional differences. But yeah, if everyone posted edit, then the thread would get clogged.

If you plan on offering mass editing to regulars, then please put me at the top of the list. :)

Except it's not done yet. And what's been done has little to do with my own efforts, really... :wink:

I know it is not done quite yet, but the way this has been done was great. People hopped on this and you showed great enthusiasm all the way through. You lead this great, and I am happy that this is actually almost to the victory line.

Just wanted to say great job on this and here's to ya and the rest of the people who made this work :D

Except it's not done yet. And what's been done has little to do with my own efforts, really... :wink:

I know it is not done quite yet, but the way this has been done was great. People hopped on this and you showed great enthusiasm all the way through. You lead this great, and I am happy that this is actually almost to the victory line.

Just wanted to say great job on this and here's to ya and the rest of the people who made this work :D

Agreed. And thanks! 8)

*Heart rate slows down*
:)

There were the additions a few weeks ago (which we already covered), but none since, I think.

BTW I've been proofreading the first 50; I'm maybe a third of the way done. I'll get the big Word document with all of the bios posted on "my" server soon, but it won't be complete until the aformentioned Mega Man bios are finalized.

watkinzez, what are the British/Australian customs on hyphens? Specifically, I find myself wanting to add hyphens to things (i.e. "ill-fated" instead of "ill fated" and "bee-like creature" rather than "bee like creature") but I'm aiming to retain all of your regional differences from American English (like omitting full stops after "Bros." or "Dr."). Are hyphens like that supposed to be there?

watkinzez, what are the British/Australian customs on hyphens? Specifically, I find myself wanting to add hyphens to things (i.e. "ill-fated" instead of "ill fated" and "bee-like creature" rather than "bee like creature") but I'm aiming to retain all of your regional differences from American English (like omitting full stops after "Bros." or "Dr."). Are hyphens like that supposed to be there?

As far as I know, there isn't any difference in hyphen usage. That's just me not using them out of personal taste, I suppose. :) So throw them in. I started using full stops later on for Bros. etc, so no difference there either.

• 3 weeks later...

Fancy new posting scheme we have here.

Anyway, I'm back at school and am working on schoolwork instead of the project. I'll try to get the bulk file up and hosted this weekend. I'd hate to think that I'm discouraging progress by keeping everyone hanging on something that really speeds up the frivolous part of editing (spelling, mostly). I'm still working on the first fifty bio's, but I think I'm more than halfway done.

We're so close!