OCR02635 - *YES* Final Fantasy 1 & 2: Dawn of Souls 'The Crumbling Facade'

halc

Brandon Strader and halc

Title: The Crumbling Facade

Game: Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls (FF1 PROJECT MIX)

Source: Ruined Castle (

)

halc: this actually started as a solo mix, but after coming up with a solid minute worth of wip, I hit a total brickwall and never managed to come up with anything else. Brandon offered to collab on the song, and this is what came to be. despite what you might think, some of the chippyness in this later half of the track was made by Brandon, and quite nicely at that. <obligatory>enjoy!</obligatory>

Brandon: I took halc's initial wip and turned it into the song you hear. I added acoustic guitar and bass because I thought it would be interesting to see how it sounds with halc's sound. I wanted to make the song sound like something people could confuse as a full-on halc song.

------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3 months later...

Pretty cool combination of the more homey acoustic guitar and the spaceyness of the chiptunes. Overall I like the personalization that both of you brought to the track, although I was expecting a little more development overall to the theme. I'm surprised there isn't a solo area or something similar. The length of the track and the fade out make this feel a little more rushed than I normally hear from either of you, but I think it's still got a lot of personality and remains above the bar in terms of OCR standards.

YES

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty cool story behind the arrangement, with Brandon using halc's first 38 seconds as the inspiration and base behind the arrangement, then building his own pseudo-halc/Strader collab. I wasn't disappointed by anything here. I thought the structure worked out nicely, keeping a pretty steady energy level and providing variations through subtle instrumentation changes and dropoffs. Loving the creative treatment of the source the whole way through. Nice work, and a solid part of a VERY stacked FF1 album. Props to Brandon for his dedication bringing all of it together!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

This was solid, though i think a bit plain. Everything is well executed, but I was hoping to hear some more embellishment and craziness, mainly because the source is very familiar to a lot of people. The mix of acoustics and chips was cool enough though, to really make this unique, and I think the track itself is above the bar. Production is clean and the arrangement is good, it's just that the two of you have tempered my expectations to be pretty high is all.

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

Typical halc remix.

YES

Ok, seriously, this is a really pleasant combination that I didn't think would have worked as well as it did. The acoustic strumming adds a very warm tone to the mix and softens up the more tonally-abrasive chiptune samples. It's very nice to listen to, and a great change-up from the usual halc/Strader collabs where Drew picks up one of Brandon's WIPs and polishes it to completion. You guys collab well together no matter who starts the process :-)

YES