*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'Negative Battery'

djpretzel

Alias: NegaC

E-mail Address: negac@hotmail.com

User ID: 19571

Game: Sonic and Knuckles

Song: Flying Battery Zone

Comment:

I made this remix using FruityLoops, taking me a 2 or 3 weeks, probably more, to complete in my spare time. The reason I decided to remix this song is because Flying Battery is by far my favorite song out of any of the 16-bit Sonic the Hedgehog games. I just can’t get enough of it, and strive to find all the remixes I can of it. That’s all I can think of to say.

Thank you for your time. I apologize if you receive this e-mail multiple times.

http://www.zophar.net/gym/SK+SONIC3.RAR - 18 Flying Battery Zone 1

Very cool intro for the first :15 playing the original to segue into the mix. The arrangement was fairly conservative, so fans of that approach would be feeling this, but it needs more. It's not enough to transition into something that isn't too different from the original. If you go conservative in handling the melody, you have to really get expansive and interpretive with any countermelodies and supporting instrumentation involved.

This mostly got by on instrumental and supporting instrumentation pattern changes, along with some slight playing around with rhythms from 1:30-1:45. Good to hear some piano brought in at 1:45. The drums got repetitive quickly, so vary up the timing and patterns more, and present something that's not so plain in sound and rhythm.

Distrorted saw-type solo section from 2:13-2:40, with the melody coming back at 2:26 which had some better rhythm alteration ideas here. 2:42 went for the close and retread the beginning material at 2:50 for the finish. Really play around with the Flying Battery melody more and bring more creative ideas into the picture, on the arrangement side as well as with the production via more effects and processing. The ReMixing & WIP forums can help you improve your sounds & production and get more feedback before you next submission.

NO

Fun fun fun fun fun fun fun.

:DLove the corny drum pattern starting at 0:54 and 2:00.

:D Love the bass line at 1:43.

:D Love the take on the melody at 2:27.

:?: WHY DO I BRING UP THESE RANDOM THINGS YOU ASK?? Well, I'm trying to prove that you've got the chops to make a mighty fine ReMix if you put them to use. Up until 1:07 everything is fine, you had your clip of the original, your one slightly plain introduce the melody section and then the delightful kung-fu drum thing.

:arrow: NOW here instead of going back into a simple rendition of the melody with your crazy soloing going on in the back where it's practically inaudible, bring that solo to the front and change it so that it's outlining the melody while still going kir-aazy!

:arrow: Once that's done you can do the melody once but with the type of stuttered notes + punchy drum action from 1:34 the whole way through.

:arrow: Next when you break into the bass funk at 1:42, keep it going a little longer and maybe have the piano play part of the melody along with the bass line [instead of the walking octaves].Then you can return to the kung-fu drums like you did at 2:02.

:arrow: I do like the filter-sweep starting at 2:15 but it kills the momentum so you should skip ahead to the yummy bass action at 2:27. There you can have that version of the melody repeat more then once and have distantly panned stuff in the upper registers play counter rhythms to the bass melody after the first time through.

All these suggestions are based on one princible. You're working with very simplistic sounds... that's not really good or bad by itself, it's just a fact. Because the sounds are so simple, the track itself has a built in consistency so you have the right, and I'd say the responsibility, to incorporate a lot more intricate arrangment ideas [which you do every now and again]. The framework I provided is just one example of how this might be done. There are millions of other options available

n0 (Resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

i don't know about this one.

the intro rocked and then when the main groove kicked in, i was letdown by how mundane the mix was... nothing is really going on; just a straightforward mix with unimpressive drums, an undynamic lead instrument and though the arrangement does shift a couple times to keep it from being repetitive, the piece unusually still feels bland. the things that need to be audible, aren't (shnabz mentioned the solo but there are also some accompaniment sections that are lost in the mix).

overall, a decent attempt at something that could have been a lot more. restructuring and giving some consideration to making this more dynamic both sonically and compositionally will make this a more entertaining listen. but as it is now, i can't even sit through a second listen

NO

zyko picked the right word.. 'mundane'

this isn't terrible by any means,

but it's only a few steps away from the dreaded FL NOOB sound that spells death to any remix that appears on the panel.

but if you keep at it you'll only be a few steps away from picking up some yes votes.

no

as mentioned prior, be sure to make use of the WIP forums.