*NO* Legend of Zelda 3 'Farewell Hyrule'

djpretzel

Ooooh this is pretty. A bit weak on the arrangement side, though I like the texture and production on this. The bass drum has just the right amount of reverb to convey a feeling of expansiveness without muddying up the lower end of the frequency spectrum. Cool.

Nice pulse throughout, with some simple stringwork that accentuates the piano.

I like it, though it could use a bit more arrangement and interpretation. Particularly another lead instrument to contrast with the piano. Almost there!

borderline NO with emphasis on resubmit.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/loz3.rsn - "Credits" (loz3-31.spc)

Yeah, this was actually a mix of the Credits theme. The Ending theme (loz3-30.spc) is actually totally different, so I just wanted to clear up any confusion. I know Shna really liked your mixing name, so good stuff with that, Poptart and Crackho!

This was some decently sequenced stuff. The piano here has the delicate touch, but sounds awfully mechanical regardless. Good idea for the addition of whatever that was at 1:14. Beyond 1:42, some of the other additional instrumentation you added also sounded a bit too synthetic, but overall it didn't negatively impact the piece in any major way. More panning would be nice.

In any case, this was definitely a case of the arrangement being too conservative. Think of ways to involve more melodic interpretation and strengthen the samples you're using.

NO

Very similar to the source... as has been stated. Also, the tempo seems to be EXACTLY the same as the original. Interesting.

The pizzicato repeated note pattern beginning at 1:14 sounded nice, but it worked particularly well because the preceeding material was so empty. All you had was the piano playing it's ascending 3 note pattern every bar with the mechanical melody up above sitting on top of some static strings. After being doubled by flutes, the pizzicato strings are played off the stage by a bass drum crescendo -> cymbal/snare two hit combo. The trill at 2:23 was fun. Very little happening anywhere, at it's richest the orchestration features sustained strings underneath the pizzicato/short bow combo playing quarter notes repeatedly with the ocassional bass drum, snare or cymbal.

The source is barely altered in any meaningful way, and the orchestration itself is very plain. Lets get some more interaction between the instruments, and possibly have the piano do something other than play that 3 note ascending line at the start of EVERY measure. Most importantly, expand on the original with maybe a new chord progression, different phrasing of the melody, splicing in some original material and something that will make interpretation much easier to accomplish..... try changing the tempo so that it's not EXACTLY the same as the source.

n0

This is a pleasantly simple lullaby of a piece and from that perspective there’s a lot to enjoy. The piano is a decent sample and is effectively processed to give it a rich enough tone to carry this mix. The effort to bring some accompaniment to the solo piano isn’t bad either. The cymbal swells add a nice dynamic to the otherwise serene material and the supporting string pads work as well. I’m not so fond of the solo instruments that join after 2:10 as they do tend to sound very synthetic, including the trills.

Still, the piano is what drives this mix and because of this I think a greater effort needs to be placed on humanization and variation. I don’t mind the similar tempo at all but as Sam said, switch out the 3-note pattern once in a while and try having the piano work more effectively with the other instruments in order to bring a bit more interpretation to the theme. You can also always throw in a hint of the classic Zelda theme which appears in the last half of the credits theme.

Good stuff so far but more interpretation and variation on the theme is a must. Keep working at it.

NO