email sub file EverybodyelsE - Underground Dream.mp3

Contact Info

Remixer Name : EverybodyelsE

e-mail Address: darksaturn2000@hotmail.com

Remix Info

Remix Title: Underground Dream

Name of Game: Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES)

Name of Song: Lorenzen's Soil (Level 2)

I have never done a remix before so I thought I'd start with Earthworm Jim 2 for the SNES. I aimed for a chillout sound that is present in the original music even if it is slightly harsh but most 16-bit consoles were. There's elements from the title music as an intro and end because I thought it fitted well. The Remix was made within a week using programs that are new to me so this is the first and hopefully not the last.

I aim to do a Goldeneye64 remix next since it was the game i played most while at school.

Martin (EverybodyelsE)

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/ewj2.rsn - "Lorenzen's Soil" (ewj2-03.spc)

Decent stuff, but extremely reliant on the source material for the structure. Short and sweet, the sounds were basic/generic and lacking any punch, and the production was flat. Track repeats itself at 3:11; might as well have cut the track length in half. Lazy, uncreative arrangement. On this level, it's just a weak techno arrangement with some light piano and strings, and some gerenic beats.

Dan's a bigger fan and more familiar with the source material thanks to "Invertebrate Retreat", so he'll have more thorough insight as to how you handled the arrangement, but I didn't hear anything hugely interpretive hear that put a notably creative spin on the source material.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

This is really repetitive and simple. I can't blame the mixer too much as the source material is pretty simple as well.

There's way too much reverb here, and that's a lot when I say something like that. ;) I think it's more to do with the mix being glossed over with a big amount rather than various layers of dry to wet (front to back).

I think you can use the cello/double bass lines better. The sample you have doesn't sound like it has anything alternating for up and down or roundrobin, so when faced with that sort of issue, I don't think you should be sequencing lines that fast since they just sound wonky as they do here. Consider using slower lines or even different articulations to get your idea across with the samples you have.

Generic synth design doesn't help much here either. Average attempt on production and execution on the whole, in my view. It's not bad by any means but I would consider trying to add more of an original concept next time. Keep working at it.

NO

God this song drones to no end. :(

Fruity drumloop in the perc. Hooray? I think not. At least slice that up and retrigger it every measure or so. Don't rely on a drumloop to carry your song; you have to do something with it. And for pete's sake don't expose it like it's some kind of awesome drumbreak.

The rest of the song is pretty repetitive and goes on too long for what little content is actually present.

NO

Pretty basic stuff. The drums are basic, loopy and hidden in the background of the mix. I like the way the brass started off. The strings that come in have a bit too much pre-delay on them, so they're out of time.

Overall the piece doesn't sound too bad, it's in tune, it's cohesive, but it's way too repetative for a 5 minute mix. It's not very different to the source material, there's a lot more room for interpretive-creativity here. The piece has a lot of reverb, and while it's used fairly well here, you can't rely on it.

Also, basic drum-solo = big No-No.

NO