*NO* Grand Prix Circuit 'F1 Grand Prix'

djpretzel

I've producet a remix for the old game Grand Prix Circuit based on the MS-DOS version.

My Remixer Name: Nautilus

My Real Name: Erlend Waagbø

My Email Adress: nautilusx@gmail.com

Name of game remixed: Grand Prix Circuit It's a remix of the menu theme (as the game only contains the startup and menu music).

As far as I know, GPC has not yet been added to your database:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/grand-prix-circuit

This url contains screenshots and most of the info about the game.

The original composer is Krisjan Hatlelid.

As the original soundtrack is made by a PC Speaker or similar device, the only way to hear it is to play the game:

Comments about the mix:

I'm a great fan of both electronica-style music and the Formula 1 Grand Prix. My favorite team is BAR-Honda (formerly Honda-McLaren). This mix is a tribute to the brilliant game music by Accolade/DSI and the best Formula 1 team ever.

I hope you like my remix and that it will be published on the OCRemix website.

Best regards,

Erlend Waagbø

Checked out the C64/SID version of the soundtrack (by the same composer) but for some reason none of the subtunes sounded at all like this. Oh well. Decent but plain beats to intro stuff here. I liked the vox used in there at :16; it managed to sound cool on account of being so robotic. The apparent source tune melody kicked in at :40. The whole atmosphere was sparse. Just a bad idea with the loud drum beats at :56; they were very overbearing, and the idea was just lazy-sounding.

1:11 in, and this continued to have problems establishing a solid groove. The supporting instrumentation was plain and too sparse to fill out the soundfield. The melody was back at 1:28 via some mechanical-sounding plucked string type sample. I heard something fill out the soundfield VERY quietly and subtlely from 1:46-1:58, initially like the sound of a racecar. You need to be emphasizing ideas like that to fill things out. The next section at 2:00 sounded noticeably spartan by comparison.

There was some bassline action going on at 2:16 where the notes didn't quite seem to agree with the rest of the track, but it was brief. The looped beatwork was just dragging on by the 3 minute mark. Basically the arrangement at this point involved lots of permutations of the melody by changing up the instruments occasionally and using some effects. Nothing bad, but nothing particularly strong here. The arrangement could be about 60-90 seconds shorter and still say the same message so-to-speak.

So again, while I appreciate the change in the lead instrumentation and the infrequent but observable counterpoint involved as well, the sounds aren't strong, the arrangement drags on, and the soundfield is bare for the majority of the track. Decent effort though. There were interesting melodies here that make me want to check out the source tune, but this mix needs a lot of work regardless.

NO

Honestly this sounds like a mix that’s only 3/4 finished. Ideas are thrown around but nothing really locks together like it should leaving the already few instruments feeling more sparse and disjointed than they have too. There are plenty of issues that need addressing (the overbearing bass at 2:16, the lack of processing in general, the weak percussion, etc.) but I think the WIP forum would be a better venue for those discussions. Keep working at it.

NO

Indeed. There are lots of things that make this unpassable. The volume of the lead starting at 1:29, the utter lack of complexity in the drums for most of the track, no processing whatsoever as harmony mentioned and the list goes on and on. I love that the bass keeps hitting C Sharps at 2:16 when it's SO obvious those should be Cs considering the progression contains both an A minor and a C major chord. If this had been intentional that would have been cool... cause it has a real freaky effect on the ears. All I can say is... keep righting and you'll improve no matter what. GO FOR IT!

n0