*NO* Legend of Mana 'Saxamaphone'

djpretzel

Don't have the original, but didn't need it at all. Arrangement doesn't seem too liberal off-hand, just from hearing the melodies used here, plus the track was short, but I'd appreciate someone digging up the source if possible.

The intro wasn't bad as all. Some decent breakbeats and dance kick type dealies. Sounded thin, but it could have then evolved into something nice. That electro-organ type sound at :15 was very mechanical sounding. But the real drawback was that sax sample introduced at :30 which sounded too synthetic and robotic to carry any believability. And adding a second sax for harmonization was terrible. DarkeSword in particular could give you some tips there.

There were many point where it was just a sax alongside the beats you set up, which sounded sparse and beginner-ish. The mix overall was very short and poorly developed. The whole thing was decidedly weak, and these flimsy beats were probably the worst I've heard from you. That's not to shit on all of your work either, since I've heard some decent material from you on the panel, but this here was awful. I've heard way better efforts from you that show a lot more meat on the bones and powerful sounds. I'm surprised you couldn't at least make this as impactful as some of your dnB submissions.

I wish you'd revisit some of the pieces we've previously passed on in order to see if you could improve those. Right now, I'm convinced you're not trying to use the ReMixing or Works forum to improve your arrangement and production skills and get more feedback. Please focus on improving your material.

NO

http://www.zophar.net/psf/LoM_psf.rar- 107 “Daedal’s Organ”

Showing off your strength from the start, the simple yet dynamic intro drums are full of cool SFX and have a great beat that has the potential to form a solid backbone of this mix. I’m not really feeling the electronica-sitar synth that enters at 0:15 and I’m waiting for something to mix with it or cover it up. The saxamaphone comes to the rescue at 0:30 with a very conservative take on the theme and this highlights what might be considered the weakest part from your recent submissions. This interpretation is very conservative not only in the straightforward manner with which the source is used, but also in the instrument selection. The synths that are chosen for the lead sound very similar to the organ in the original. Conservative source usage alone won’t sink the remix ship but in this context, there isn’t much beyond a decent beat played under the source with a few compositional changes tossed about. I enjoyed this mix but I can’t pass it.

NO

On another note, for LiquidNeon and all of the other submitters out there, there are very specific guidelines as to how songs should be titled, what the .mp3 tags should be and what should be in a submission e-mail. Even if most of the requested info isn’t included, giving us the important info such as game remixed and original song can go a long way in helping us judge your submissions as quickly and accurately as possible.

Yes indeed. Very close to the source, but this time you use it in its entirety.. however the source is under thirty seconds so the task was made much simpler this time around.

The beats were fun, the saxaphone was decent enough. Somehow when being doubled an octave above... the combination of frequencies made the two saxaphones sound like an accordian instead. The two sounds do not compliment eachother for this reason. I love the effects that become clearly audible when the sax finally leaves for good.

OKAY so, next time right a true "ReMix" in OCR form. Take a melody and change the phrasing slightly, maybe take it through some new chord progressions and you might end up with a passeable mix. I'm glad to see no pitch shifted vocals made the cut this time!

n0