*NO* Lemmings (C64) 'Ba' Gräv!'

djpretzel

One of the more interesting mix explanations I've seen - djp

Link to the remix:

Remixer name(s): Näsan & Danneman

Real names: Fredrik Näslund, Daniel Öman

Game remixed: Lemmings

Remixed song: Just Dig! (Song 3 In the SID archive) Own comments:

The song title "Ba' Gräv!" is the swedish interpretation of the original title "Just Dig!".

The inspiration for this track came to us one day when we where spaced out from eating a really bad kebab pizza. While on this new found high, we decided to put our musical abilites together to create this remix of epic proportions.

Näsan's mother being of Jämtlandsk descent was fed fried lemmings as a child, so the choice of game to remix came quite natural to us. Also, Danneman wears blue pj's at night.

Guitars by Danneman and Arrangement by Näsan (and an annoying, meddling Danneman)

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/spc/lemmings.rar - (08-lemming 1.spc)

I’ve been waiting for someone to bring a great Lemmings remix to the panel and this has the potential to be that remix. I like the wide panning on the piano when it’s exposed from 1:14-1:43, and nobody can tell me that the clean guitars for the outro weren’t as good as good ol’ apple pie. Haha, Larry’s gonna get on you for the vox at the end though. I think the “Let’s Go!” for the beginning is essential to ANY and ALL Lemmings songs, but the vox at the end doesn't work for me. The interpretation of the theme is very conservative (the source tune from Zophar isn't a good representation of the original) but the orchestral elements and guitars add an epic feel to the original that I could pass from an arrangement standpoint.

Unfortunately I think the execution needs cleaning up. The leads carrying the melody are terribly quiet and lacking any presence. This is especially true of the acoustic lead at 0:15 and the flute at 1:00. Without a strong melodic accompaniment, this song reduces to a repetitive chord progression. It also feels more cluttered than it would with a good lead cutting through the supporting instruments. Still, working on separating the instrument to maintain clarity during 0:31-1:00 and 1:44-2:28 isn’t a bad idea.

I’m pushing for a resub on this one with the hope that if this doesn’t pass, you’ll give the melody a more prominent spot in this mix, clean up some of the cluttered sections through better mixing and panning, possibly rework some of the melodies to be a little more interpretive, and cut the vox at the end. Great work so far.

NO (Please Resubmit)

I agree with Harmony. The distorted lead is buried by the acoustic struming and lower pitched distored sustained notes. 2:28 contains pleasent laid back light strumming though it's only between Db and Ab, where as the entire progression during the rest of the song is Db, Ab, Bbminor, Fminor, Gb, Db, Ab.. over and over. There's nothing seriously wrong with such a simple progression, though it can become especially monotonous when the same struming pattern and drums remain unchanged for so long. 0:30 - 1:00 and 1:44 - 2:14 are IDENTICAL. This is an example of one of the mix's biggest weaknesses. There is little developement.

The only true build that happens is at the end when the melody is semi add-libbed up an octave over the same strum pattern, drums and chords. The break at 1:00 was another highlight though the flute was barely audible. If you're going to use such a simple chord progression and arrangement style, try to bring in more developement and make the repetitive sections draw the listener in by clearly placing the focus on the melody and away from your bland accompaniment parts. The mix had a lot of natural charm, so all you need to do is build on that and you'll be fine.

n0

http://exotica.fix.no/tunes/archive/C64Music/Tel_Jeroen/Lemmings.sid - Subtune 3

This was pretty nice. No issues on the arrangement, as it was conservative but clearly expanded and possessed purely rearranged sections as well. The lead was definitely buried at all times here, whether it was the acoustic guitar, the flute, or the piano (which sounded too mechanical). You've gotta make those more prominent against your supporting instrumentation. The "Let's Go" and Lemming death clips were kind of out of place with the feel of the track, but were used tastefully, so I didn't have a big problem with those.

Creating some changes/variation in the 1:44-2:13 section so it doesn't repeat the :30-:59 section verbatim would help. Indeed, develop the ideas further so they sound as creative as the material from 1:00-1:43 & after 2:13. Also, the high-end frequencies are noticeably absent here. I'd work on this a bit further and resubmit it. And no matter what you do, submit this to R:K:O. Good work so far, Fredrik & Daniel.

NO (resubmit)