*NO* Ultima 6 'The False Prophet'

djpretzel

Hello OC-Crew,

here’s an MP3-Song I created several years ago. It it based on Origin’s „Ultima 6 PC“-Intro-Songs, new Drumbeats and some Samples of the Ultima-Underworld-Series (1 or 2, didn’t exactly know which one it was).

I used a Roland JW-50 Masterkeyboard and my good old „Creative AWE-32“ to create the MIDI-File. Thus I still have the MIDI-File on my Harddisk, one needs the fitting Soundfont-Bank with his Soundblaster (AWE32 and above) to hear the right sounds.

Sorry for the „Attachment-Solution“, but my Provider doesn’t support free webspace.

Your page is wonderful, keep on the good work! I hope you’ll like the Song; maybe one can reduce it’s Quality to shrink it?

Source: http://www.ioncross.com/users/the_orichalcon/other/ultima6falseprophet-U6-intro.mid - Intro (0:41)

Source is courtesy of laura's midi heaven. If "Laura" ever reads this, your site is a god damn nightmare to navigate.

On to the mix. I'm loving the vocal clips from the game (What was that guy called again? The Big Red Hand? He sounds like Darth Vader.) Anyway, they're a nice addition, but the mix is relying on them way too much. Around 2:30 it appears Winamp has gone into a loop: "All who oppose you." While I'm loving the homage payed here, you need to take the vocal clips back a step and focus more on the actual music.

As far as the actual arrangement goes, it's not too bad from such a short source piece, however this mix goes on for 4 and a half minutes and there's only so much variation you can get for a theme as simple as this, as we find out soon enough when the mix starts repeating its ideas. While the voice clips attract attention away from this fact, the mix does become repetative quickly.

The quality of the mix on the whole is fairly good, everything is balanced quite well. The quality of the drums are on the basic level. It's a good default beat, but it needs a bit better mastering to either bring out the disco/dance sound a bit more, or to at least make it sound less... basic. The synthbass plodding away through the mix sounds very basic as well, especially considering it stays the same all through the mix, just plugging away doing its job quietly. The Steel-Guitar font used for the rhythm of the mix is nice, but like the bassline stays the same throughout the mix. The strings that come in to handle the melody are basic and dry as well.

On the whole, this is a cute little homage mix, which I've personally enjoyed a lot (especially since I love the Ultima series.) But it's a very basic dance sound, and the repetativeness along with the over-reliance on the vocal clips is working against it. As it is it's a very enjoyable homage mix. You should be happy with what you've made, but it's just not the kind of mix we're after for this site.

NO

TO hit all the relevant issues here. The arrangement actually wasn't too bad, but it became repetitive over time, and the cheesy, overused vocals clips didn't help that perception either. Nothing but overkill.

The arrangement needs a lot more variation and creativity than what's presented here. Switch up the patterns and sounds and create additional rearrangement ideas. The string samples first used at 1:35 were very artificial-sounding, thin and grating. Decent so far, but nothing I believe would ever get to a passable level. Since it's old, just move onto new work.

Scope out the ReMixing & Works forms for advice on how to improve as well as additional fan feedback.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I hate to be so brief, but TO and Larry hit up already all the points I thought of. I heard this a while ago and enjoyed it, but the straightforwardness of it and all the vocal clips are a bit of a turn off. This would have been a great mix like 3-4 years ago, but now it's just a tad dated.

Surprisingly good work considering the tools at your disposal and the age of this mix.

Fun listen. But a NO.

• 2 weeks later...