King's Quest

BloodyL

I suppose he's talking about this:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,1286

King's Quest as a series went out with a whimper, instead of a bang. VI was, in my view, the best one, VII was, eh, mediocre, and 8 just wasn't King's Quest. From what I've read they were trying to reinvent the genre but it just didn't work for me.

I am not a HUGE fan of "episodic content" for King's Quest game, and I'm a bit leery of TellTale "softening up" the series to make it palatable for a modern audience. Part of the fun of the King's Quest games comes from its many, many deaths (those are the best parts of any Sierra game), so you'd have to make it so that dieing is still a very tangible possibility (and one-liners making fun of you! Another Sierra staple). While I admit some of the KQ puzzle solutions are extremely obtuse (my favorite being in V, where you have to use the honey and the emeralds to catch the elf in the haunted forest - yeah like YOU'D ever figure that one out), every good sierra game has a "throw a pie at a yeti" moment.

One series that remained consistently entertaining was Space Quest. I'll admit the only sierra games i've ever played and/or watched were the Space Quests (IV is my favorite sierra adventure game), and the King's Quests. Though I've watched my older bro play Leisure Suit Larry, and Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, and Gabriel Knight (which looked awesome).

Ooh, scary though popped into my brain just now... the day when HD covers every facet of entertainment to the point where it creates an underground but very strong demand for LD entertainment and emulations thereof (like the chiptune scene today).

I believe it. I did just turn down the graphics setting on Sonic Cd to Nostalgic. My eyes hurt now. ;)

I've played those remakes of the first game, with plans to get the second and third ones when I got time, but I remember as a kid playing King's Quest V on the NES and seeing VI on a talkie CD-Rom at an old Sears electronics section long ago. Great times.

So there's another one coming out? I'm definitely gonna keep an eye out. Adventures games in their simplest form bring out the best possible nostalgia for me (i.e. Space Quest, Indiana Jones, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...