*NO* Guilty Gear XX 'Be Jazz or Be Dead' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original Decision

IKRENEGADE

Nicholas Yach

Be Jazz or Be Dead

original arrangement: Holy Orders

From the Guilty Gear X series, composed by Daisuke Ishiwatari

This is a tremendously improved version of my initial rejected submission. My engineering prowess has grown considerably since the last try, hopefully its a marked enough improvement. This version includes tighter performances and generally a better soundscape.

• 4 weeks later...

The sound quality on this is much much improved. The soundscape is warm, and things are clear and crisp. Well-deserved praise for improving the overall sound of this from your first submission!

Performances were improved over the original submission as well, but still are shaky as an ensemble. I can't strongly enough recommend a click track if you are going to be doing a live feel.

The sound quality is there for me, I like the arrangement and the performances are better, but not quite there. I recommend taking the skills you have learned and trying some additional songs, then come back to this one. I like it a lot, but the performances need to be tighter to get onto OCR.

No, please resubmit

• 2 weeks later...

I've only heard the resubmitted version, for the record.

Very interesting and fresh arrangement approach here, Nicholas. The performances aren't tight in some sections (more noticeable e.g. :37-:55). When you have relatively few instruments and thin textures where the instruments are pretty exposed, very upfront stuff like the guitar should be performed tighter so that timing or note flubs don't stick out this much; we definitely allow for mistakes hear and there, but overall the flow needs to stay reasonably strong. Arrangement-wise, this was an easy pass. The sound quality sounded kind of lossy, but was alright. But the performance, which has a lot of quality and character, needs to be improved another step or two before this felt like it was fully clicking. Can't say enough how fully I agreed with OA, even having not read his vote until after I wrote my own; we're hearing the same issues.

Don't be discouraged at all. I think you could definitely get the timing a bit tighter on this piece or apply those criticisms to your future pieces, but either way you're on the road to getting something approved here and posted if you keep at it. I loved listening to this one and hearing this creative take on Ky Kiske's theme. Let's improve it another step further!

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I'm loving the arrangement on this one. Awesome style adaption that I can dig. The performances need alot of work however. Like OA said, things were very shaky overall. This sounded very clean to me, perhaps too much so, to the point of sounding slightly empty. There is room to add some more backing instrumentation without causing muddiness. My one other critique is that the guitar tuning was slightly off at points, but this wasn't a deal breaking issue. That said, the performance is just too sloppy for me to sign off on this one.

Fix up the frequency gap in your mix, tighten up the performance, and fix up that out of tune guitar, and you've got yourself a winner! :D

NO (resub)