Sonic & Knuckles - Lava Reef Zone (Super Sonic Fireballz)

I wasn't sure about posting this, but then workshop forums are for gettin' feedback on WIPS so voila:

Remix: Removed - see latest post

Source:

I've spent no time on the production but I've done what I can to give a good impression of what is to come.

To do:

• Re-record guitar parts and record the other missing ones
  • General Mixing/EQ
  • Sort out some of the parts towards the end as some of the rhythms conflict with each other quite badly.
  • Refine the drum parts and mix them properly
  • Finish off the actual arrangement...I'm about half way through completing the structure.

The sonic remix comp really got me in the mood for some classic sonic tunes. I'd forgotton how awesome Lava Reef is, so thought I'd give it a bash. Also I've been getting withdrawl from remixing. Too many things have been getting in the way and its been a while since I focused on anything of my own so I hope you enjoy. Feedback is really appreciated as I'm always bound to miss something. I'll be extra appreciative for feedback now as I had to replace my amp for my speakers so am having to re-learn those :banghead:

hahahaha... did you start working on this when you thought you might have been matched up against me in Round 2? It's a particular shame that Akumajo had to drop after your tough battle, because it would've been cool to see you continue, especially with something like this! (although you probably would've beat me heh).

Anyway, I really won't comment on much yet, since this is still pretty short and you listed all the production/EQ stuff you still need to do. Regardless, this is a pretty slick arrangement so far! I really like the upbeat, high energy feel! Nice guitar solo too! Can't wait to see how you finish it up!

I started working on it when round 2 began. I was considering following the compo as though I'd managed to stay in and do a mix each week but unfortunately other stuff got in the way :(

In honesty, I reckon I would've failed hard as I've found Starlight Zone really difficult to meld into other melodies and keys whilst retaining its character, but hey ho! All good fun :D

Thanks for the encouraging feedback. It definitely gives me motivation to finish this one up. Here's a mini update, its the last until I finish the arrangement :)

Remix: Link removed

So I'm at a difficult point where I dunno quite what to do with the mix. I'd like to say the arrangement is finished but I get the feeling it might be too repetitive. The ONLY thing I'll say is that the guitar solos need more practise but besides that I'd really appreciate feedback. What needs improving? What needs taking out or revamping? All feedback received will earn you a Magellanic +1 love point. Let me know guys :)

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/wip-super-sonic-fireballz-1

Nice update! I think the arrangement is pretty good. The main Lava Reef A melody does get repeated a bit often, but I think you have enough original sections between the guitar solo, the little synth solo towards the end, and the 2nd guitar solo at the end to keep things fresh. I love the overall high energy of the track and the opening drum beat is just killer.

I don't really have a whole lot of crits, other than I feel like the mixing/EQing could be a bit better. Some of the sections feel a bit muddy, particularly the section at 0:59 - 1:10, and other areas where you have overlapping guitars. The guitars and some of the other instruments seem to be getting lost in one another. I guess I'd just take a look at what frequencies some of the backing instruments are in throughout out the song and try to separate them a bit more from the guitars. Overall this sounds pretty solid to me. Nice job!

Wow, this is pretty cool! I knew it was going to be awesome as soon as I heard those drums at the beginning :)!!

I don't think the lead line is repetitive at all, the inversions and stuff at the end help keep things fresh. The chords do get kind of boring after a while though. It might be nice to change them up a little.

I'm not really sure what to say production-wise but yeah, I like it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciate it! I've had a lil' more feedback, so I'm gonna post this update as finished. I'll just let it settle in my mind and then come back to it fresh in a few days to add the final polish for mod-review. I'm still torn 50/50 as to whether I need to get the chords/arrangement changed up a bit. I'll decide by seeing if I get struck by inspiration!

Wow, this is pretty cool! I knew it was going to be awesome as soon as I heard those drums at the beginning :)!!

Love you for this Kuo!

For the mean time, one update: http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/draft-super-sonic-fireballz

I've had another go at the mix and removed some of the mud and scooped the guitars some more. I think they sound better/more powerful. But hey, what I hear is probably just make-believe haha.

Much love

I think the mixing is there, but that's just me. For now I'd suggest these things:

At 0:11 - 0:14, which is the second time through of that pattern, try adding upper third harmonies.

At 0:21 - 0:34, you can always have a more expressive synth than that. That decay is really low, so try increasing it and adding some delayed vibrato (vibrato with a slow attack). You could also add a small amount of portamento/glide on certain notes.

At 0:35 - 0:42, I hear a triangle wave filling in some frequencies. Try playing around with its octave. Maybe one octave up or down would sound better?

At 0:50 - 0:56, where the triangle wave comes back in, you could also add some glitch effects, or maybe slice its pattern some more and have a machine-gun-like effect on some notes rather than simply sustaining them.

At 1:11 - 1:14, where the guitar plays the same notes twice, at 1:13 - 1:14 you could pan the first time left and the second time right. Be creative. :D

At 1:14 - 1:17, where that pattern has repeated a second time around, again, try adding upper third harmonies.

At 1:57 - 2:00, same thing as 1:14 - 1:17.

At 2:00 - 2:14, you should add a really cool new synth there. Maybe a PWM lead with vibrato? Portamento/glide?

The last thing I'd say is that you should create a more obvious ending. Right now it seems to end very suddenly, without warning. Maybe you can change the drum pattern there to slower, half-time drums? An irregular drum beat that emphasizes certain notes rather than playing just as accompaniment?

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your feedback Timaeus. I tried out basically all you said and kept what worked. I've also tried out a couple of new things myself. The only thing I haven't had a mess around with is the drums at the end but I think I'll do that next.

I've re-recorded the solos but they still need more practise as they're still not quite in time. Also, there's not a recorded bass instead of samples.

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/super-sonic-fireballz-3

As always, feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Nice one!

The guitars sound a lot thicker now. I like it!

I'm not sure what you mean by the timing being off for the solos; it sounds pretty on time to me but maybe I'm just not hearing it?

I'm actually not a big fan of the new synth at 2:00. It sounds a bit too...bubbly for a lead. I dunno.

The chords are less boring now that you've added some rhythmic changes but I'd still like to see more variation in terms of the actual chords. It's up to you though.

Thanks a lot for the feedback again guys. Its been really useful. I was gonna post an update about 2 hours ago but after reading what you said, you confirmed what I thought. So....this is a complete and finished version that I'm gonna put as mod-review.

Source:

Remix: http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/super-sonic-fireballz

I was getting fed up of the chiptune parts not sounding quite right so I've replaced most of them with parts I wrote in a tracker. I think they're a lil more authentic sounding and suit the mix better. The chip/synth solo has been completely re-written. It was too....boring. Anyway, as always, feedback is appreciated.

...but I'd still like to see more variation in terms of the actual chords. It's up to you though.

I think I've remedied that some more with the new solo, but hey let me know what you think. I am happy with the arrangement now :)

Sounds a bit bright, like it doesn't have any beef in the mids. Idunno, compare it to some similar, well-produced tracks and copy their frequency balance. Chip solo is a bit loud. Just listen to the change in lead level when it goes from chip lead to lead guitar.

The track sounds a bit same-y throughout. Dunno how big a deal it is, but it bothers me. Could probably be remedied with more varied chords and riffs, as well as changes in the guitar sound and... stuff. Again, dunno how big a deal this would be on the panel, so I can't say whether you should do anything about it, but it'd be good to keep in mind for future mixes.

I'm hearing a bit of a squashed sound, too, making the track even more tiresome to listen to. Dunno how you've processed the track, but you could probably ease up on the compression a bit. If you need more headroom, solo the kick and bass and see what you can do about those two, they're the usual offenders.

Source usage seems ok. Feels a bit more like a genre-adapted cover than a remix, but dunno where exactly to draw the line between the two.

Feels like this is a really negative review. I don't mean it to be. It really comes down to whether the arrangement is ocr or not, and in this case I can't say either way. Fix what you feel like, sub it whenever, see what happens. :D

edit: ...remedied... I stole your vocabulary. :P

Thanks Rozo. Killer feedback as always :)

I get what you mean about the arrangement. I'd love this one to be an OCR mix but if it turns out that the panel don't think its suitable then so be it. I'll clean up the EQ, compression/limiting and balance then get this thing off to the panel. If I do get a sudden burst of inspiration to modify the arrangement then I'll do it.

Word thief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: If anyone is interested, this is the final version that I'm going to submit - http://soundcloud.com/lidawg/sonic-knuckles-super-sonic