*NO* Mario Kart 64 'Rainbow Road Procession'

DragonAvenger

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, first off, I'm very happy to see Pot Hocket breaking out of the norm and trying some different stuff. Production-wise, this reminds me very much of Nutritious' old work, which I feel is more than over the bar. The mixing/sample quality has lots of room for improvement, but this is clearly aiming for a more subdued sound and I feel your particular production style works well here.

There's a few sore spots that stick out, such as the oboe/clarinet leads, which I feel are sequenced pretty stiffly with some weird attack on them. The snare fills that come in later in the song also sound extremely mechanical and almost electronic in nature. I really wish those just weren't in the song, personally, but I can live with it.

Also, the source usage doesn't even come in until :50, which is a bit of a concern but fortunately, there's source all over the rest of the song so I can sign off on this. I've got several reservations but overall I feel like the emotion in the arrangement itself is enough to outweigh the average production. Keep working and improving, you've obviously got some great talent hidden away that none of us knew you had.

YES (borderline)

• 1 month later...

Does have a tinge of old school Nutritiousness but it's a bit ploddy. Not a huge amount of dynamics going on (almost none in the first half), and the melody instruments sound really far away with that reverb. The percussion after the 3:00 build up are slightly out of tune which is really grating. The build up itself didn't really feel like the climax I felt you were going for.

Good to see you branching out but I feel like this is a fair ways off recent orchestral standards in terms of mixing and in particular the use of dynamics. I'm sure you got it in ya to get the production working with the arrangement, and the samples don't sound unworkable. Listen to some early Nutritious and you'll hear what I'm talking about.

NO, plz resub

Gotta agree that it's awesome to see you doing something totally outside your comfort zone, especially with this level of skill already. That said, I'm not sure this is quite to the level of other orchestral arrangements on the site. Some of the production issues have already been noted, and in particular I noticed the high levels of reverb and the snare rolls as problems. I also agree with Fishy that the lack of dynamics hurt this, and the climax really didn't hit the way it should have. I feel this is very close to passable, and neither the production or dynamics problems are big enough on their own to sink this, but in conjunction they are. Good luck with the rest of the vote, and if it doesn't go your way, PLEASE PLEASE send us a reworked version.

NO (resubmit)

Source tune finally kicked in at :38. The higher strings at 1:04 sounded somewhat exposed, which was a continuous problem, though not something that was very obvious. The plucked strings also seemed a bit too loud, but that could just be personal taste.

2:50 started getting pretty cramped as the instruments layered together, transitioning into a brass focus at 3:00, which sounded somewhat muddy or compressed from 3:20-3:46 on account of the brass's levels

There was definitely a plodding feel and lack of expression with the sequencing that undermined the attempt at subtle dynamics.

I'm definitely agreed that this is close to passing, as the arrangement concept itself is good, but the expressiveness of this piece is lacking. Tighten some of the production issues pointed out and you'll pull it above the bar. Love hearing you move out of your comfort zone and becoming an even more proficient creator. Keep it up, and don't give up on this one if it doesn't pass! We definitely want this posted in some form.

NO (resubmit)