*NO* Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 'Xenon (Teknikality Mix)'

djpretzel

Email sub file Xenon [Teknikality Mix].mp3

Maybe this one will stand a chance right...?

Contact Info

Remixer Name - Nihon Tek

Real Name - Jerome Phillips

Remix Info

Game Remixed - Dance Dance Revolution Extreme

Song Remixed - Xenon (for extreme)

Composer - Takayuki Ishikawa

Remix Name Xenon [Teknikality Mix]

Additional info - Obviously there are many composers for the DDR series, but the composer of this song goes by "Mr. T" Though I searched, I was unable to turn up his actual name. I'm not sure what consoles this game was released for as I don't play the home versions of DDR, but this song can be found on the arcade version of DDRE.

Everyone who plays DDR loves this song. So I figured why not? I could surely take a hand at remixing it. I tried to keep the energy of the original in this breakbeat/big beat rendition. Also, I cut it quite short [for an electronica mix] in order to avoid repetitiveness. This was all produced in FL Studio 5 with a few VST plug-ins.

I hope it's accepted (obviously right?), but if it's not, thanks for the consideration and maybe next time.

~Nihon Tek

Gray Edit:

Hey, I recently submitted a DDR ReMix by the name of "Xenon [Teknikality Mix]". In my submission e-mail I said that I could not find the original composer's real name however I did end up finding it. His actual name is Takayuki Ishikawa. I just thought that I should add whatever information I knew. I wasn't sure who to e-mail this too, but you seem to be one of the more active judges so I thought this would be write. (sorry if it isn't... haha).

C ya

~Nihon Tek

• 2 weeks later...

Dance Dance Revolution 8th Mix -Extreme- - "xenon"

Checked everything out and the source material wouldn't be a violation here; this is a Konami'>www.cheatcc.com/psx2/sg/ddrmax2.txt+%22Tomoyuki+Uchida%22+xenon&hl=en&client=firefox-a]Konami original track. Nihon mailed Gray to correct the composer info, but Tomoyuki Uchida (aka "Mr.T") made the track, not Takayuki Ishikawa (aka "D.J.Amuro").

In any case, onto the mix. This mostly worked with the original by changing the rhythms around, and featured what seemed to me to be a lot of supplemental/original ideas for the support work.

Sounds were really basic. That's not a HUGELY negative hit on this mix at all, by the way. The original also used pretty generic instrumentation, though to be fair, these synths/sounds feel to me like a step down. Not cruddy or anything, just defaulty and lacking polish, which ultimately weakens the track.

The intro of the mix changed up the rhythms from the intro of the original a little bit and extended the idea. Some basic beats came in at :21 to beef things up, along with a basic trance-style lead at :34.

More stuff kicked in at 1:00 but the mix seemed to become very high-end heavy and a bit cluttered though nothing major on the clutter part. Things were decent. The texture got really thin and grating from 1:40-1:55. That's a problem with that synth, IMO, in that's it's too shrill at that point and stays that way when it's in use. Get really cluttered when more stuff comes in at 2:07.

Good slowdown and transition into the next section at 2:20, finally getting into a new section of the source material at 2:49, before going back into the faster-paced material with some basic pads underneath at 3:18. Section from 3:32 basically repeats from :34, now with the pad underneath. Fairly weak close from 4:26 until the end; the pad and percussion are both fairly thin and sound too exposed.

I feel like the source tune could have been explored more for the last minute, especially since the arrangement was pretty conservative and not overly expansive, just extended. Nonetheless, there were some good original arrangement ideas here as a result of changing the genre, and slowing the track down, mostly with the supporting instrumentation, not to mention the gated synth lead.

If you can tone down some of the higher frequencies, and volume, and more importantly see what you can do to freshen up the arrangement from 3:32 until the end, I'd be more down. Primarily due to the sounds though, the track feel very samey throughout, so doing more to vary up the arrangement in that way would make this more solid for me. Good work so far, Jerome.

NO (resubmit)

Ah Xenon. This song was pretty tough.. I definitely know it by heart, now - but I don't think I have got AA on Heavy :( anyway..

One thing I noticed right away was the encoding. Don't use CBR, man! 128 sounds dulled, at least to me. Use VBR; you'll get better quality AND reduce the file size. The reverbed/delayed detuned saw instrument that plays some partial riffs towards the beginning is rough.. too many spatial effects on it. When combined with everything else it muddies up the rest of the mix. The tone of it is fine, though. The 'main' synth from the beginning is cool, at least. The drums aren't too bad overall; they're solid, albeit pretty generic in the patterns they play and the tones themselves. You might consider looking into getting NON 808/909 samples since they're so overused and cliche at this point that they just sound boring.

The section right before 2:35 sounded kind of messy w/ the tempo change. At least the drums that come in after are varied, though. I'm glad you didn't go back to the 808/909 stuff. As the mix progresses though, you just sort of go back to the stuff you had towards the beginning, with the same drum patterns and synths. There's no real build, no climax, it's a letdown. Come on, use all that energy to do something cool! The ending especially is a cop-out.

Overall, the arrangement here isn't too bad but I felt like it focused too much on the "A" section of Xenon without bringing in the other part much. I also think the structure wasn't very good, because for an upbeat electronic mix, you want to keep the energy going, whereas here it just died after the middle (which was not a climax at all, but more of a break section). Keep working on this one.

NO

• 5 weeks later...

this mix has a number of things going for it. some of the riffs are pretty cool.

here's what's going against it:

the instruments are generic and similar. (saw pad vs saw lead, etc). the instruments arent particularly subtle or interesting. the leads are monotonous, and the pads are boring.

the passages are cool, but very repetitive and monotonous. they are also rather separated. there's little continuity between them.

the section around 3:30 has lots of really bad dissonances between the pads and the lead. the chord progression just doesnt make any sense.

so NO