external mixer & dual monitors

GSO

is an external mixer really a need? what exactly is it's function? could I do all the same things with my DAW?(I really need to conserve my desk space) and are dual monitors really necessary(again, desk space)

Dual monitors are not "necessary", but they are awesome.

As for a mixer, depends. If you have a few different inputs and don't want to constantly be switching patch cords on your audio interface, a mixer could come in handy. I use a mixer to route inputs to the PC and output from the PC to my speakers, as well as inputs that bypass the PC and go directly to the speakers. It's pretty useful.

A mixer is useful if you have multiple sound sources or if you want to output to different outputs at the same time.

So for my setup, I have two hardware synths, a computer, and two studio monitors. I plug my two hardware synths into the mixer and they go through to the speakers. I also plug my computer into the mixer, they go through to the speakers too. Now I can play all of my instruments at the same time and have them all go out through the same set of speakers. In addition, instead of using speakers (or in addition to!) I could output the sound to a tape or to my headphones.

If your computer has an audio interface with multiple inputs, you could plug the instruments into your computer too, but that means the computer has to be on, so it's not as versatile. You'd also have to adjust the volumes using the computer's audio program.

There are more advanced uses (ex: if you want to mix send effects) but the multiple inputs or multiple output use case is probably the common one.

You really only need an outboard mixer if you're recording a decent number of instruments at once and your audio interface is lacking enough inputs. Some people just like the tactile format for recording things but it's not a necessity. I personally haven't used one in my recording setup for a number of years. For a tactile feel, though, I do use a surface controller to work the mixer in my DAW.

Having two monitors can certainly help your work flow. I really do like having my edit view on one screen and the mixer view on another. It gives me the big picture that I need to keep control of my sessions.

Lol ok two LCD monitors. Well I use a laptop and it is hooked up to a 20in lcd. The lcd's my main window where I do stuff, and the laptop's screen I usually just put plugin controls over so they don't cover up the daw.

I was thinking: Damn, the people here on OCR are sure hard core, two studio monitors? :grin: