*NO* Dune 'Eyes of Chani'

djpretzel

Finally a Dune mix, and it's great to see someone attempt to mix this amazing piece.

The problem though is this is a minor arrangement. The original was already chill/ambientish/new ageish, here this is in some ways a watered down version without much brought into the table until the the 2 min mark with the new lead synth. I'd like to hear this mix to have more expansion on that level and integration with the two concepts here. Right now you have a first 60%ish of the mix as conservative then the latter parts with some new material additions. I'd like to see this introduced earlier on, and the mix perhaps extended another minute. It's definitely an above average effort in this regard, but I'd like to see more.

The synth lead, I'm not sure if this really works well in this context. Sounds like a harsh portamento mono synth that's a little abrassive and ruins the mood and serenity of the mix. (Might be personal taste though).

Production in general is ok. You have a lot of basic synths and samples that do the job, but they don't necessarily stand out too much in any department.

Nice mix, but not really there yet in both the categories of arrangement and production. Keep at it, this is a promising framework, but NO.

Now this is a very cool and subdued mix. The quality is pretty darn good as it gives a good atmospheric sound to the mix. The problem here is that the synths used sound a little too basic for the type of mix it is. They're utilised extremely well, but they sound the same all the way through, and I think some creative effects on the rhythm synths as well as the lead synth could have made this far more enjoyable to listen to, and perhaps even pass-able.

As it is, this is pretty repetative though, and at 2:44 it needs to have more creative arrangement. The ending isn't even a real ending, it's pretty much the theme played right up to the last moment with a quick 2 second fade-out. Doesn't give the mix the credit it deserves.

Generally, this just sounds incomplete. It has room for more work, more elaboration, and more creative effects. As it is, it's pretty pleasing to the ear, but it just needs more.

NO

Dune Spice Opera: Exxos OST - 09 "Chani's Eyes"

Oooh, Dune Spice Opera is badass. Thanks to Gray for the source. I'm a huge fan of track 7, "Wake Up", ever since hearing it at Song of the Week. Cool intro for the mix. The belltones at :15 were kind of bootleg, plus the volume was getting too loud. Melody comes in at :34, and the synths handling that are really vanilla and thin. The texture here is pretty sparse. Seems to be a problem with this particular batch. Melody dropped out at 1:02, leaving behind some bad support work where the phrasing didn't stand strong on its own.

Decent dropping out of the sounds at 1:35. This kind of atmosphere could work nicely if it were de3veloped well. Oooh no, bad electric guitar witht the FX and shizzle at 1:49. It actually has a different tone than the typical FL Slayer guitar synth I hear, so it's actually not bad, but it definitely doesn't sound very solid. Ending was too arbupt.

Pretty short arrangement; didn't really have time to develop or go anywhere, which is fairly necessary going at this slow of a tempo. A lot of the sound choices weren't good; the combinations just weren't working. Keep working on it if you're willing to change those. But if not, scrap it. :-D In any case, I'm with Gray in that the mix needs more rearrangement vis-a-vis the source; just more creativity there all around. Right now, it unfortunately sounds a lot like the source tune with inferior samples that also aren't used very well.

NO