ReMixer Name: AlanGee15

Name: Alan Garcia

UserID: 49349

Game: Street Fighter II: The World Warrior

Arrangement name: "Blanka in Brasil"

Song name: Blanka Theme

Composer(s): Yoko Shimomura, Isao Abe, Yoshihiro Sakaguchi

Comments:

It has been 20 years since the release of SF II: The World Warrior and to this day I have always sang and shared my passion about the music composed by the three composers involved in the game. The one I have always been most passionate about is "Blanka's Theme". I always dreamed of hearing this song arranged in a very African/South American way. This tune was written with the time signature in 4/4, but syncopates to a 3/4 time by use of triplets. I knew doing this would really bring out the beautiful melody I love and also make room for some solid percussion as the foundation to the tune. Taking the melody are nylon guitar and piano. A synth voice is used to support the acoustic instruments. Traditionally, the foundation of this song is the bassline. But since the bassline really was written as a support to the unique chords of the song by holding a pedal to the root note, I gave it to an African instrument known as the 'Kora' and had it be an arpeggiation of sorts.

Thank you for giving all VGM composers/arrangers/remixers the opportunity to spread their passion and an opportunity to be heard.

----------

• 4 weeks later...

Not the best piano sample, as it was a little exposed during the opening, but I've heard it a million times and it's definitely solid. Excellent time signature change with the arrangement here, and kick ass instrumentation. The leads, the percussion, the bass; everything gelled together wonderfully.

By 1:48, I could have gone for some minor variations with the verse instead of a rinse and repeat, but that never came. The fadeout ending at 2:39 did bookend the beginning of the track, but felt like a cop-out, and I don't normally take issue with fadeouts.

Those minor flaws notwithstanding, what WAS here was a substantive enough interpretation that I thought it clearly could bear the rinse-and-repeat repetition of one verse without dragging it down to a NO. What would have been a super strong YES with a further evolving second half was weakened some, but this still easily gets over the line, IMO. An awesome, elegant arrangement that's over before you know it.

Alan, you've GOT to submit more VGM arrangements after this one! Amazing stuff, keep 'em coming!

YES

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is really excellent stuff here. It took me a second to wrap my head around the time signature, but that passed quickly. Nicely produced and filled out atmosphere. The arrangement is very intelligently pulled off here, with clear connections but also a ton of personalization and adaptation.

I was also a little disappointed in what was essentially a copy-paste, and the quick fadeout ending. Still, I'm sold on what's present.

Yes

Not much to elaborate here: LOVE the interpretation between the instrumentation, feel, and time signature change. I love that the piano melody presents an elegance against the slightly hectic drums and backing guitar. The contrast is excellent, and used very effectively.

Larry is right that the second half doesn't quite have the strength of the first, but I will agree that even with the repetition that this easily still gets the job done, and is a unique approach to an oft-heard theme.

YES

Wow! I'm really impressed here, this kind of jazzy/instrumental style reminds me heavily of old-school McVaffe/Red Tailed Fox/Malcos and I, for one, have sorely missed hearing more subs like this. I really love the dynamic piano chords/melodies that dance around a relatively static backing track/groove. I would have loved to hear a bit more in the way of other instruments and solos, but what you have here is an extremely solid jam.

You've definitely made the most out of a relatively-small amount of content/loops, and for a track that doesn't even reach 3 minutes I was a bit disappointed to see how repetitive it got, but I think the quality of the adaptation and production is enough to overshadow the static instrumentation/arrangement.

Keep sending stuff our way, you're showing a great deal of talent in a genre that's been notably absent from OCR lately! :-)

YES