*NO* Battletoads (GB) 'Level 3 Den Gen Mix' *RESUB*

djpretzel

LT Edit - Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=52467

Hey,

I re-subbed this a while back, but there was a problem with the file online, and I think it just got bumped off the list in the process:

* Contact Info

o Simon Hutchinson

o simon@cosmiccompositions.com

o www.cosmiccompositions.com

* ReMix Info

o Battletoads (Gameboy)

o Level 3

Thanks,

-Simon

"Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher"

Simon Hutchinson

simon@cosmiccompositions.com

http://cosmiccompositions.com

http://www.zophar.net/gbs/btoads.zip - Track 14

Guitar coming in at :02's kind of awkward, and definitely too quiet and lacking power relative to the other sounds. Percussion joining in at :24 sounds plain/boring and looped. The synth-based arrangement is exactly the same, which was the main reason this got NOed before.

Wrong note on the guitar at 1:13.

I give you some degree or credit for trying to expand this piece from the last time around and doing your own thing there, but the foundation is basically just a plain sound upgrade from the original. At least used the added instrumentation to rearrange the original more overtly. Practically everything there sounded wholly original, rather than related to the Battletoads theme in question. The added instrumentation sounds thin and doesn't add enough body/texture to the piece. On top of that, the sound balance is sloppy.

Pretty cool sounding mix here. But most of that is tied directly to the source material in question. The guitar is pretty cool sounding. But this falls under "cover" for me in the sense that the beat and bass are the same as the original.

Maybe if this had build up into something a little heavier with some more original work that lead away from that general beat would be acceptable creativity in terms of the arrangement.

Sound quality is good, just needs to be more complex. The generic beats really are the killer touch here. Keep it up, it's a cool sounding mix in general, just not quite there.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

this has a groove i almost but can't quite get into, and i can get into grooves pretty easy.

this is unfortunately thin and lacking, there's some very bright guitar and other melodic components over some low-octave piano and drums..

where's the stuff in the middle? a strong rhythm guitar or string pads could fill this space up.

other sections like 1:56+ just sound really cluttered.

questionable notes in the guitar give me no other option than..

no

Too thin and sparse. Not enough attention paid to the frequencies. This comes off sounding as very sparse. This needs more middle/middle low frequencies. Everything sounds flooded. There's no clarity going on throughout. The mix just comes of as very basic in production and arrangement. Pretty fun listen though, but needs quite a lot of work in said departments.

NO