OCR Analysis Group-gathering interest

This is an idea i have been kicking around for a little while that I think would help everyone with their remixes.

On a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis, a remix would be selected from the site to be torn apart by the group. Every possible line drawn, every note realized, all production techniques speculated (if not readily provided by the remixer :))

This would not be a review of the mix but an analysis of the chord progressions, voice leading, key modulations, scales/modes used, overall idea of the mix, it's relation to the game, use of the title, possible mixing and mastering techniques and so on in order to learn everything that went into the creation of the work. If anyone has taken a literary analysis class or did some music analysis it would be the same idea and more than likely a combination of the two.

I think it would be a great way to dust off some older remixes and keep information flowing between posted remixers and OCR hopefuls. Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

How about requests for remixes? I'd like to see one of my mixes broken down. But due to the volume of remixes I could see my mix never getting reviewed. I like the idea though, for sure.

It wouldn't be a review, i think OCR has enough threads dedicated to reviews and "how this remix makes you feel". This would be an analysis that would try to be as selfless as possible. Only what went in and what could have gone in and why. Anything like that can be posted and the group would be open to everyone regardless of experience. Seeing how other people learn about music is the goal of the whole project.

The only problem i see right off the bat is how to interpret the analysis.

Here is an example of what you wouldn't be able to do, something like "Willrock's Snowboarding Sonic is a classic Neo Conservative example of Radicalized Right Wing 1940's Pre-Modern Post-Deconstructionist Politics" and then distort everything just enough to support your point. :) Just Music, Game and DAW related facts.

Of course I support the idea for a vote but since it's likely that we would end up with 15 or so remixes with 1 vote each there would have to be a way to narrow the results. Since it seems like there is more interest than what i was expecting i'll try to get the ball rolling asap. I'm not the most forum savy OCR'er so i have little idea where to hold something like this.

It wouldn't be a review, i think OCR has enough threads dedicated to reviews and "how this remix makes you feel". This would be an analysis that would try to be as selfless as possible. Only what went in and what could have gone in and why. Anything like that can be posted and the group would be open to everyone regardless of experience. Seeing how other people learn about music is the goal of the whole project.

The only problem i see right off the bat is how to interpret the analysis.

Here is an example of what you wouldn't be able to do, something like "Willrock's Snowboarding Sonic is a classic Neo Conservative example of Radicalized Right Wing 1940's Pre-Modern Post-Deconstructionist Politics" and then distort everything just enough to support your point. :) Just Music, Game and DAW related facts.

Of course I support the idea for a vote but since it's likely that we would end up with 15 or so remixes with 1 vote each there would have to be a way to narrow the results. Since it seems like there is more interest than what i was expecting i'll try to get the ball rolling asap. I'm not the most forum savy OCR'er so i have little idea where to hold something like this.

You could always randomize the choice :razz: Or go for lesser known games, since that usually means that mxies from those games got less reviews.

Gar, your idea needs at least a few proofs of concept to show a substantive example of this kind of analysis you're aiming for, and how thorough it would be. Sounds like it has potential though.

It's worth noting that this sounds like analysis that, when essentially completed, probably should be merged into respective Review threads, since thought out analysis of ReMixes does belong there alongside non-analytical reviews. Music Composition & Production makes sense for the homebase of this project though. :-)

This is an idea i have been kicking around for a little while that I think would help everyone with their remixes.

On a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis, a remix would be selected from the site to be torn apart by the group. Every possible line drawn, every note realized, all production techniques speculated (if not readily provided by the remixer :))

This would not be a review of the mix but an analysis of the chord progressions, voice leading, key modulations, scales/modes used, overall idea of the mix, it's relation to the game, use of the title, possible mixing and mastering techniques and so on in order to learn everything that went into the creation of the work. If anyone has taken a literary analysis class or did some music analysis it would be the same idea and more than likely a combination of the two.

I think it would be a great way to dust off some older remixes and keep information flowing between posted remixers and OCR hopefuls. Would anyone else be interested in something like this?

That's how virt, protricity and I got our reputations as assholes all those years ago....ahhh memories...