First Resub Decision

Original Decision

Name: Arceace

Email address:

Game: Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

Arrangement name: “Energy Beads”

Original track: Exercise Mode

Link:

I have made the changes that were recommended from last time. I have added better percussion samples, and increased the quality of the other instruments. I would like to thank the ever diligent Rozovan for helping my spot a few problems on the WIP forum. Hope it's a pleasure to listen to!

I just judged one of your other subs, and the exact same criticisms apply here. You are doing a heck of a good job with sequencing, but that can only take you so far when the sounds are so vanilla and unprocessed. The whole affair just comes across as flat. I think you've got to branch out a little bit, or if you insist on sticking with the palette you've got, use automation a little bit more to make your sound more interesting. I'd recommend just trying to use more complex samples though.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

I hate to just copy/paste Vinnie here, but he's exactly right. This is the same criticism I keep coming up with for your mixes, Ben... you've got above-average arrangements/sequencing that's being brought down by poorly-chosen synths that don't really convey any personality. Take a listen to some older Ben Briggs mixes and compare the sound he's achieved with a similar set of samples and see what ideas you can pull. I can very easily see your track passing if you could utilize filters/automation/articulation better to achieve a similar level of production quality.

Lots of promise here, as always, but there's something missing still. Hope you can figure out how to give this track that extra boost!

NO (resubmit!)

• 5 weeks later...

I do think the song is upgraded, but the lead still lacks the super attitude it needs. The beats sound great, and there is some nice filtering and harmonies, cool effects, tempo shifts, and a good flow. I do think it could use some more lively sounds mixed in, but I think it clears the bar, though skims it a bit.

Yes (borderline)

I just judged one of your other subs, and the exact same criticisms apply here. You are doing a heck of a good job with sequencing, but that can only take you so far when the sounds are so vanilla and unprocessed. The whole affair just comes across as flat. I think you've got to branch out a little bit, or if you insist on sticking with the palette you've got, use automation a little bit more to make your sound more interesting. I'd recommend just trying to use more complex samples though.

Yep.

I hate to just copy/paste Vinnie here, but he's exactly right. This is the same criticism I keep coming up with for your mixes, Ben... you've got above-average arrangements/sequencing that's being brought down by poorly-chosen synths that don't really convey any personality. Take a listen to some older Ben Briggs mixes and compare the sound he's achieved with a similar set of samples and see what ideas you can pull. I can very easily see your track passing if you could utilize filters/automation/articulation better to achieve a similar level of production quality.

Lots of promise here, as always, but there's something missing still. Hope you can figure out how to give this track that extra boost!

Yep.

Ben, I'd prefer NOT to glib you, but they already said it. You need to upgrade those sounds, whether it's through new samples or more creative usage of effects and processing to personalize what you have now. A lot can be done with "stock" kind of sounds: http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR01475/. It's not happening here yet, and it's undermining an otherwise cool arrangement.

NO (resubmit)

I think the guys above have pretty much covered the issue here. This sounds like a bunch of presets with not much work put into getting them to gel together. Automation and processing needed, everything is way too dry. The only moment that sounds like this has been done (1:36 or so) is definitely the best sounding part of the remix.

It's a good foundation for the arrangement but lots of work needed on the mix.

NO, plz resub