Hi,

Link to submission: See attachment.

Remixer name: Mordi

User page on OC: http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=22501

Game arranged: Turrican II

Name of remix: The Great Bath of the Seven Seas

Song remixed: The Great Bath ->

Comment:

I never played Turrican II myself, but the soundtrack for the entire series is quite fascinating. In this one I tried to capture a pirate-y feel throughout.

The part in the intro and later on with the harmonica is actually not from the tune. However, I thought it fit the chords well enough so that I threw it in there. It's actually from the soundtrack of a fantastic norwegian animated movie called "Pinchcliffe Grand Prix" from the seventies.

The track was made in FL Studio 9, mostly using free soundfonts I found online. No real instruments were harmed in the making.

I hope you will enjoy it.

- Mordi

• 1 month later...

"Hey Vinnie,

Here's a clip of the tune as it appears in the danish version of the movie:

The changes in my rendition of the theme includes different chords, slightly altered melody and waltz-style timing."

---------------

Man, if the outside source usage is OK with the higher-ups I'm all over YESsing this. The approach to a waltz-style fits perfectly, and the interplay between the instruments is beautiful. I can imagine a great galley ship slowly docking in a harbor in a busy port town (and not just from the opening sound effects).

None of the instruments is blowing me away with realism, but I think you worked with them very well and it sounds great to me. The understated sounds make this come alive subtly. Love it.

YES

Well, apart from the outside source usage, this is a clear YES IMO. The mood is fantastic, and the writing is great. It's an excellent piece. Having listened to the borrowed melody, I would say that despite the modifications Mordi made, it is close enough to count as outside source usage. It accounts for about 40 seconds of this and I'm sad to say that places it within the realm of ineligible. Be happy for Dave to disagree if the panel thinks it's questionable, but I think this is pretty clear cut.

NO

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not evaluating this sooner.

This needs to be quoted so that everyone reading understands what we're discussing: http://ocremix.org/info/Submission_Standards_and_Instructions

3. Any incorporation or arrangement of source material not from games (mainstream, classical, etc.) should be extremely limited.

I'm agreed with all of the other NOs, I love this arrangement. And if it were just a Turrican II arrangement and didn't involve arranging non-VGM music from Pinchcliffe Grand Prix (:13-:37, 1:58.5-2:21.25) as well, I'd YES this treatment in a heartbeat.

There's just too much incorporation of non-VGM source material to pass this. Martin, obviously we all enjoy the track, and the combination of these two themes is awesome, but it just falls outside of the site's guidelines.

If you were willing to change the harmonica part to something wholly original that was inspired by that movie song but not actually arranging it, we could accept this mix, but otherwise we can't justify passing it. Nevertheless, it's a really cool track that everyone reading this decision should listen to. Please don't be discouraged; we definitely want to hear future submissions from you!

NO (resubmit without Pinchcliffe Grand Prix arrangement)