A Baseline Remix Knowledge Source

So, you know how some pepole grew up fluently speaking Russian, for example, but then when they take a Russian class they fail?

That's me with music. I've been doing music since I was 8, but now that I'm getting into the remixing side of things I'm finding that I am asking those questions that make a room go silent. Questions like "what's a limiter" or "what's a compressor" and those sorts of things. I'm an instrument-player, not a remixer by trade, and the remixes I've had success with so far have largely been by accident.

I'm looking for a resource to bring me up to baseline. When to use EQ, when to use reverb, the difference between different types of reverbs...what the hell does mastering mean, vs. mixing...what's automation and how do I apply it...what the hell is quantizing? etc. I can go out and search youtube tutorials for the next three years, but that's a crapshoot.

Any suggestions?

Well, having already read your guide, and having already gone through the G&T forum, I wanted to see if there was something that was more baseline. Titles like "Chiptunes Without a Tracker", "Guitar Amp Buyers Guide" and "A Gear Guide For Multiple Budgets" aren't going to answer the questions I was just talking about.

Hey Joe, don't you have a mix pending posting? (Not the Taxi you Whistled For) Like, direct post (no panel)? So yeah, your question is suprising.

These are some resources that have helped me (and continue to do so):

The Dance Music Manual

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio

Mixing Audio

Also you can always find a wealth of information by Googling or looking on Youtube for a specific topic. The advantage there is you can find tutorials using your own specific daw.

Rozo's feeling saucy today, haha! :smile:

Hey, thanks for those resources. I'll grab them when I have some extra money in my pocket. They ain't cheap!

I have 3 mixes pending including the 2 from the FF6 album, but I still needed a lot of help on the production side from some of the project directors. I still listen to OCRemixes and think "Wow, I have no idea how to make anything I do sound like that." And when I watch youtube tutorials and stuff, I myself flopping back and forth between understanding complicated subjects and balking at the most basic terms. That's why I'm looking for a "baseline".

Not the Taxi You Whistled For was 100% instruments, recorded live and modeled after a live performance so there wasn't much production for me to do. I think I had reverb in there, and maybe some EQ. When you get into producing synthetic music, I very quickly start to become at a loss for how to do anything beyond hitting the record button :)

I suggest starting with Youtube. Type in "eq beginner tutorial" and see what comes up. You need to learn the basic concepts. Ok I just went to Youtube and typed in "basic eq tutorial cubase" and found several things, this looks good:

You could do the same with compression, and reverb. Those are probably the three most important things to learn right away (eq, compression, reverb). After you get a basic understanding of what these things do, you should spend some time playing with them. Just make some random sounds in Cubase and really play with the settings on the plugins to see what they do to the sound. You're gonna have multiple "aha" moments, haha! :smile: Once you master the basic effects you can start getting creative.

You've given me a lot of food for thought, thanks. I also just found an electronic copy of a cubase manual at my local library that I am reading on my computer, and each section gives an intro with some basics before talking about the actual interface. I use Cubase almost exclusively, so this helps a lot.

Questions like "what's a limiter" or "what's a compressor" and those sorts of things. When to use EQ, when to use reverb, the difference between different types of reverbs...what the hell does mastering mean, vs. mixing...what's automation and how do I apply it...what the hell is quantizing? etc.

I'm pretty sure I've covered these in my guide, and zircon some of them in his. How could I explain eg the compressor better in the guide?

There's a lot of stuff out there on the web, but culling the good from the bad is part of what I think you're getting at... I'm thinking that the addition of blogs to the site will help address that at some point, but also that upgrading the forums and allowing youtube & soundcloud embeds will also help.

The main problem is one of curation; we need someone willing to put in a lot of hours & time towards building something out, and proposing a logical structure for the presentation of such information, with usable navigation. We can think outside the box on this a bit, because I think part of the problem might just be with presentation - forums can seem a bit unstructured, whereas a dedicated page that including onsite and offsite references might facilitate a layout that was more intuitive.

I found the demo project included with FL Studio to be extremely high-quality and high-yield as far as mixing, mastering, composition, and sound design techniques go. Assuming Cubase has high-quality demo projects packaged with it, maybe you should take a look at what those artists did and emulate their techniques in your own music. It's a great way to learn the logic of EQ'ing, what sorts of compressor controls are used and when, how mastering can be approached, etc.