Phantasy Star 25th Anniversary

Garpocalypse

http://phantasystar.sega.jp/psportal/25thanniversary/illustfestival/

So it seems the good people at Sega O' J are having an art festival for Phantasy Star in celebration of the series 25 years (with roughly 17 of those years without a main entry in the series).

If you can draw that's great, go ahead and enter, but as for those of us that can't i think the exclusion of a music option is a glaring one.

Please someone from OCR run with an idea for this anniversary! Maybe we can mix flood SOJ somewhere around 1-16-13 which is the deadline for the art-of-the-drawing-kind submissions.

I can't read japanese, but knowing how contests run it's probably limited to only a few countries anyway, if not only japan. Not that there aren't folks from japan in the OCR community, but there's not much point in entering a contest if you can't actually participate, or if the prizes are crap and it's just a scam for a company to gain a ton of IP to use for advertising fuel.

But 25 years? Holy crap. I remember my friend's brother playing a lot of the original game, and it doesn't seem like that long ago. We should have some kind of anniversary thingy for sure. Wasn't there a PS4 project that came up and then died during the time of "omg so excited let's have 130 album projects going"?

during the time of "omg so excited let's have 130 album projects going"?
Ahah, those were the days ...and still about 110 of those albums left to complete. :lol:

Srsly though, Phantasy Star, like many Sega franchises of yore, deserves MUCH more luv.

If there was an anniversary album, I'd endorse that product or service in a heartbeat. ;)

SEGA called out OCR awhile back over the lack of Picovision support so i think it would be fair for OCR to call out SEGA over the lack of a remix competition for Phantasy Star.

Tekken did it.

Halo did it.

Some other crap did it i'm sure.

So why not Phantasy Star?

It's only BALANCING OUT THE UNIVERSE. Nothing personal or anything.

Unless you want to talk about not finishing Shenmue or not giving Sonic Generations more recreated levels, or the banning of all foreigners from Phantasy Star Online 2, even the japanese speaking ones, for a victimless hack that could have come from anywhere. Then it's personal.

But let's not focus on the negative stuff. Let's do something for the Phantasy Star Anniversary anyway.

Hell yeah we need more Phantasy Star mixes from all the main games in the series (and hell PSO too).

I think originally, PSO was going to be called "Phantasy Star V" but I think they wisely reconsidered. PSIV ended on one hell of a good note, so I'm pretty ok with there no direct continuation of that story.

I liked Phantasy Star 3 the most. Only because I played it first out of all the games in the series. Good thing too otherwise i'm sure i would have hated it like most other PS players.

I played through the first one a long time ago and was so scarred from it i don't think i have the courage to load it up again. Not only was it extremely difficult but i would get stuck in those caves for hours on end. I had to graph every single cave as i strolled through them just to figure out how to get through.

Then there was dark falz...

Mah google chromes won't translate that page. D'oh. Would have liked to have seen what it was about in detail, buuuut I think I'll still do some art for the anniversary. Gives me an excuse to draw Alis/Alisa. :3

Anyone know where one can get the Phantasy Star logo font? I've looked around and all I can find is PSO font garbage. >>

I've beaten Phantasy Star IV, and I've gone through most of the first one - still working on finishing that one and I'm still early on in 2. The first one I played was IV and that's when it came on Wii's virtual console. The series absolutely blew me away. I didn't get into the series until my late 20's, so I think IV was a good place to start. The atmosphere of the games is just really intimidating and convincing. I could only imagine playing it back in the day like some lucky people have.

I can't say enough good things about the Phantasy Star series. The style, music, the cutscenes when you enter a vehicle or fly through space, the story and characters. The way a giant kracken will come out and kill your ass if you get too close to the water Good stuff.