*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Technical Difficulties'

Palpable

Remixer name: -Wedding Dress Mannie-

email:

user ID: 47180

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Name of arrangement: "Technical Difficulties"

Name of individual song(s) arrange: Sonic the Hedgehog: "Boss Theme" & "Final Boss Theme"; Sonic the Hedgehog 2: "Boss Theme" & "Final Boss Theme"

Composer: Masato Nakamura ,

System: Sega Genesis

Sonic the Hedgehog is probably one of my most memorable game series I have ever played. The nostalgia goes deep inside of me whenever I listen to any song in the series. When I was taking a shower, I began to play the boss theme for sonic 1 in my head...which then led to mixing in the final boss theme together with it. That morning, I then received the idea to attempt to mix the two themes together into one song. After completing about 1 minute of the instrumental, I realized that these two will not be enough. This is when I decided to add together the "Boss" & "Final Boss" themes from Sonic 2 to my remix.

Since the last time I submitted a piece to OCRemix, they told me that my song didn't really have a difference from the original piece. This time through, though, I wanted to make a different experience for both me (the remixer) and the listeners out there. This song is the first song I made once I downloaded FL Studio 10, so it is very special to me. Sonic will always have that special place in my heart. I found out that we share the same birthday (June 23rd), so I consider this as a late birthday present to my friend. You put more effort and uniqueness when you are doing something for a friend, so that is how I felt when I created this remix for Sonic.

I chose the title "Technical Difficulties" because of the many failed attempts from Dr. Robotnik to defeat Sonic and his friends. He always come up with something new, but always fail at the end. I hope you all hear the essence of the Sonic/Genesis era with this remix. I did use 16-bit instruments from Genesis, but I combined it with newer instruments also. Hope you enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GocUWSjt050

I will definitely say that coming from an apparently conservative approach this is definitely a big step in the right direction for what OCR is looking for in a mix. You've definitely put a lot of work to integrate the sources into a different style, and worked to change a lot of the instrumentation around and work within the confines of FL10. Arrangementally I really enjoy that you have the themes integrated throughout the mix with cameos every so often instead of being reduced to a medley with the themes being separate. Definitely an arrangement that people will enjoy hearing the themes pop in and out.

The production side of things is what's pulling this down. A good deal of the synths feel a bit generic, and I didn't think they meshed as well together as they should. An example of this is at 2:46 where the lead (brass?) sound is conflicting with your response call at 2:49 (and later) that also sounds like a brass synth. Check out 4:15 as well where everything sounds like it's fighting for the main space. The overall clarity of the mix is a bit low at times as well. I'm not totally sure what's doing it, but I part of it has to do with the reverb being a little strong. Some of the better production judges will hopefully chime in on that aspect.

I think your arrangement is pretty sweet, but the production has a bit of a ways to go before it's ready. Hit up our WIP forums to get some more advice and send this back to us!

NO (please resubmit)

This has a lot of potential. It's a really kickin' arrangement; I'm bopping in my seat listening to it. Love the claps in the first half of the mix.

My main issue here is that the mixing is just not there. Your sound design is filled with lot of similar sounding buzzy saw synths and stuff and it all sort of mooshes together. Claps kind get overused in the end; you should be careful about using them too much. Think about the balance and make sure there are clearly defined leads and accompaniment.

Really REALLY feeling this arrangement hard, especially Sonic 2 boss theme, but I think you need to take this to the workshop and get some help with mixing and sound design. Also I don't know how you feel about it, but I mentioned to Larry earlier that this would actually be really great with some good rap over it.

NO, resub

I liked the concept of using Genesis-style leads along with modern synths and beats, but the mixing is really cluttered and all of the parts are just mudding together. The low quality encoding here didn't help.

Good shit at 1:36 with the claps. Nice changeup at 1:57 with the Boss theme as well. The soundscape felt a bit empty since the claps were basically the main thing filling the background out. The brass samples at 2:46 were pretty poor; you need a richer sound there. Good treatment of the final boss theme at 3:04, but the leads are all saws and the percussion doesn't fill things out again. The choir sample used around 3:45 was also very unrealistic and exposed. The claps at 4:33 were too busy.

The arrangement here was very promising, Avery, as I liked the twists you put on everything, but the mixing and production dragged this WAY down to a NO. The instrumentation is too generic, you have basically one type of synth lead sound most of the way. The sounds were all thin, yet the textures were cluttered because parts aren't properly EQed. Keep at it and see what more you can learn from the Workshop areas.

NO