*NO* Sonic 3D Blast 'Simply Puppetry' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

Original decision

Hey all. Here's my latest remix. I tried to fix the problems with it that were evident when I submitted this mix 6 years ago in 2006. I hope I did enough work on it that it's ready for submission. I know it's a trance mix of a trance mix, but I thought I'd give it a go.

On a side note, I'd like to apologize for my behavior, or anything offensive I had said back then in 2006 in that original submission e-mail. I was acting childish and immature and was sure the judges would all "No" the remix before giving it a chance without giving a reason why. I'm older now and realize that wasn't true.

Anyway, here's the information:

Your ReMixer name: JD Harding

Your real name: Joshua Harding

Your email address:

Your website: http://jdharding.bandcamp.com

Your userid: jdharding

From Game: Sonic 3D Blast

From System: Sega Saturn

Remix Title: Simply Puppetry

Orignal Title/Song: Panic Puppet Act-1

Song Genre: Trance / Electronica

---------------------------

It's well produced enough, but I think there are still some problems. Your snare sound get really exposed when the main melody comes back in around 1:56-ish; all of the other elements are being filtered and faded away but the snare sound is still cutting through everything. The softer flute section is nice but soon the march percussion comes in very loudly and out of balance with everything else.

I feel like the construction of this piece isn't so great either; the builds and drops are very fast and very sudden many times. Starting around 3:22, you build up and drop to piano and immediately return to high energy and then drop back to piano again and build back up quickly to high energy synths, all within the span of a minute. It's weird to say, but that's actually a bit too much variation for a trance piece.

Even though you have all these quick changes going on, the piece still feels repetitive. It might be because the source itself doesn't have a lot of material to work with, but there's still the whole beginning part of the source tune before the piano melody that you haven't used.

Sound design is also fairly basic; you might want to think about spicing things up with some more interesting synths and work on a more evolving texture of sound, rather than relying on quick and dirty building and releasing.

Still needs work. NO, resub

So the first thing I notice about this one is the amount of variation on everything. I think the amount of variation on display here is fantastic, and the creativity here is inspired, I really like the pitch shifting drum fill for example.

I do have a few concerns however. With the arrangement, you basically used the "B section" of the source exclusively, I can't hear any of the riff from the beginning of the source tune in your remix, which might have helped with the feeling of repetition somewhat. This is pretty long as it is, and at 6 minutes, it twists and turns in alot of different ways. Strictly speaking, variation is good but not if your structure gets lost along the way, and thats what happens here.

Production is decent, but there is some room for improvement :)

The kick didn't have enough presence, I couldn't always hear it in the busiest parts of the mix, and when it was exposed it sounded weak. The drums generally weren't quite there, particularly that "white noise" snare. Mixing wise, everything was pretty good, but there was a bit of a levelling problem at 1:48 onwards, because the piano got lost in the soundscape until around 2:00 and was clashing frequencies with that rhythmic chord synth. The snare also seemed too loud and exposed when the dynamics quietened like darkesword said. I also agree with the generic synths, they could have been more interesting timbre wise, which i'm sure you could pull off based on whats here.

This is a really really good base for something OCR would love to have, and i'd love to see this resubbed because I don't think it would take that much for you. You're halfway there, its just about giving your track a clearer direction and polishing things up a bit production wise and you're there!

NO (resub)

Agreed with the other judges that this is a bit repetitive. Trance is repetitive, sure, but I think you coasted a bit too much early on without any significant changes. The second half uses some more creative ideas, in comparison. The flow is also a bit too jumpy for the style you want to do. I would have preferred some smoother transitions to the sudden jumps you've got going on.

The main issue with the production was that the kick doesn't have much body. Try layering it with another kick with more body to it. You've got the low-end covered, but for it to show up and provide a more driving force, you need the mids. The synths could have used more bite as well.

A good start, but I'm thinking this needs at least one more scrubbing.

NO (resubmit)