*NO* No More Heroes & Final Fantasy 6 'The Assassin Association'

DragonAvenger

Hi Judges, it's me again! Hope you're all doing well!

Contact Information

Chernabogue

Alexandre Mourey

www.fflproduction.fr

Submission Information

No More Heroes + Final Fantasy VI

The Assassin Association

"N.M.H." + "Shadow's Theme"

Masafumi Takada / Wii + Nobuo Uematsu / SFC

NMH:

/ FFVI:

Made for Dj Mokram's Game Duels project at KNGI. I wanted to go full orchestra but then re-think and made something with more groove, slow tempo and a nice synth solo in the middle. It has a bit of a hip-hop feeling IMO, but I'm not familiar with this genre. Oh and yeah, it has soundclips with explicit language. Better be informed! ;)

LINK TO REMIX

Good luck with all your judging work,

-Alex

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Pretty non-descript synth lead to open things up. The strings brought in at sound really lo-fi, distant and sour. Hate to criticize it on this level, but you've managed to take the melodiousness of NHM completely out of it, and in a way that definitely doesn't work.

Why am I hearing the chiptune-ish stuff louder than the leads from :47-:56. Poor transition at :58; super bland and lacking direction. The sampled brass and strings at 1:16 both strain for realism and were too exposed.

The more freeform lead writing at 1:36 was a good notion, but that also had little direction, and the beat behind it added to everything sounding scattershot. String stabs at 2:04 were horribly out of tune. Another supporting string part brought at 2:14 that doesn't click with the other writing at all.

Pretty poor execution all around, unfortunately. The beats and sounds sounded fairly beefy, so that was good. That said, the beat patterns felt like they were on cruise control, and the dynamic curve hear was flatter than a pancake. The string and brass samples were too exposed and fake-sounding. NONE of the parts were complementary of others; nothing clicked together or had any degree of synergy.

Again, your sounds have a good weight to them, and the mixing of the parts wasn't horrible, but your composition has 0 flow or direction, so the arrangement was just scattershot, off-key and not showing much promise. I hate to sound this discouraging, but you need to walk before you can run; really study the top-flight music you want to sound similar to, use the Workshop forums here for more feedback and help, and keep practicing.

NO

Yeah what is up with that brass? It sounds categorically awful. Weak attacks, sits in the mix really poorly. Strings are also strangely exposed and sound really fakey.

Beats are great but Larry's right, they hit the cruise control and basically just coast.

You gotta think about the soundscape here; you've got some wicked beats starting things off and then this anemic trombone playing sitting in the back of the auditorium just starts playing? It just doesn't work. I don't feel like this arrangement goes anywhere. Like the beats, it just coasts.

Needs a lot of work.

NO