Email: davidlpuga (at) gmail.com

Submission Info

Game Title: Sonic 3 & Knuckles

ReMix Title: Ice Advisory

Source Title: Ice Cap Zone

Original Link:

ReMix Link:

Comments:

So I've finally got around to remixing this song. Been wanting to do it for a long time, it's one of those tracks that everyone ha to remix at least once. I'd never gotten around to getting the right sound to justify adding another remix to this song, so I kinda gave up after a while. Also never made a track in the Timblaland/Danja style; always wanted to do at least one track like that, & I thought I'd try to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I was making this with a vocalist in mind, but haven't been able to fond someone to do it, & I didn't want to wait around until I did. I think it can stand on it's own as just an instrumental so I'm subbing as is. I would break down what is what & where in the remix, but I'm pretty sure it's really upfront unlike my Dedede mix.

It's winter themed, also it's hip hop & the Parental Advisory sticker tends to be synonymous with hip hop tracks, hence the title. Hope you guys like it!

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 3 weeks later...

^ What this guy said. Some pretty cool ideas in here, but it's too minimalistic and slow to really stand on its own without some sort of lead (i.e. vocals.) The bassline sounds pretty exposed too and would work better if it was mixed more subtly.

Cool percussion writing, but the rest of the track sounds underdeveloped without much direction. As a backing beat, this would work perfectly, but I agree with Vig that it doesn't have enough to it to really work on its own.

NO

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah gotta agree with the first two votes here. The instrumentation sets a cool mood but the song is a bit too simple - sounds are on the plain side, no strong melody or focus to guide the arrangement. It doesn't surprise me at all that you originally planned to use a vocalist, because this would sound better with one. If you decide to continue to rework this as an instrumental, I'd advise you to try to create a stronger focus and maybe layer some of the percussion to really fill it out. The bass could also use some automation so that it doesn't sound so rigid.

NO (resubmit)

Opening was pretty cool, pretty beefy. Once the melody came in at :23, it felt a bit empty, but only in the sense of waiting for the further build. Saw at :47 was a bit bland, but overall it seemed like the texture was alright.

The original writing on the synths brought in at 1:10 sounded a bit aimless at first blush, but it's pretty relaxed. About 1:30 in, it feels like there's not much going on as far as dynamics, so I see where the NOs are coming from about a lack of development throughout. It's definitely in 1 gear, maybe 1 and a half gears. :-) I didn't think that was as much of a problem as they did, but I felt like the synth handling the original writing brought in from 1:58-on didn't fit the bill, and that tipped the balance toward a NO.

NOT feeling the tone of the synth brought in from 1:58-2:22. Just squeaky and abrasive, arguably off-key as well. I know it's literally not off-key, but the way it hits some of the higher notes sounds strange, and it's mixed too loudly compared to everything else. Pretty jarring. Ah, it's back from 2:45-3:09 after a brief break. I think with a different sound, that part could work, as the writing seemed OK. Tweak that and see what other additive ideas or instrument changeups you could weave in and out to give this some further variation.

The tempo being steady wasn't a big deal to me, but the lack of development is a valid criticism, and that synth at 1:58 being abrasive while being a major part of the song made me lean NO. That said, this could definitely be improved to where it would make it; don't be discouraged, David, this is way in the right direction and needs just a bit more. Address some concerns of these other NOs that you feel are valid and hit us with a fresh take.

NO (resubmit)