Contact Information

User: Lashmush

Name: Rasmus Sorber

Site: http://lashmush.newgrounds.com

User ID: 27698

Submission Information

Game(s) arranged: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

Name of arrangement: Bowzilla

Name of individual song(s) arranged: "Big Boss BGM" and "Koopa (Final Boss BGM)"

Comments:

I've long wanted to do the final boss theme from Yoshi's Island but never managed to capture it properly but now that I've learned to use VST guitars and more importantly gotten comfortable with the keyswitch mechanism thats common in the more comprehensive virtual instruments, I felt I could really give this the power and wild attitude that it deserves. With the recent news of the new Godzilla project from Legendary pictures (proper TOHO Godzilla!), I started playing with the idea of a Godzilla spin to the project and combined some elements from the Big Boss BGM track to give it that dramatic and big feel. I've worked on my mixing a lot since my last submission (Light's Out) and hopefully you will see the effort I've put in. Your feedback helped a lot last time around so it will be good to see how I've done since then

----------------

Edited by djpretzel

Hah, the strings in your intro bear an uncanny resemblance to

from Metroid Prime 3. Cool.

Damn. I've been hoping for this source to receive this badass metal treatment for years, and you executed it pretty much exactly how I'd hoped. The arrangement is relatively straightforward with some really cool ambiance during the breakdowns, but the biggest strength of this track is simply in how well you adapted the source to the heavy metal genre. Great rhythms, writing, sequencing... everything is pretty great here.

And damn, I just now read that you made this with sequenced guitars. Really great job on making this sound so realistic. I'm even more impressed with this track, knowing that. Good job.

YES

• 2 months later...

Awwwww man. I really just wanted to enjoy the energy here and rock with my 3 YES crew, but instead I'm hearing the muddy mixing here and knowing this 1) shouldn't sound washed out, and 2) could sound 10 times more badass with a proper mixdown.

Nah, I can't do it. The arrangement is all sorts of awesome, but this would have to be cleaned up for me to pass it on production. There are (very) brief areas when the soundscape is less cluttered where I get really hyped for what's coming up, but then everything gets dense and messy-sounding, and it's just unfortunate. Looks like it'll make it anyway, but I feel like it's a disappointment that it would in this form.

Rasmus, if you're willing to take a fresh look at this, even if it does pass right now, this could sound way cleaner and actually more intense by properly mixing it. It's an incredible arrangement, but it's hard to truly appreciate what's there.

NO (resubmit)

Intro was on the weak side with those fake strings, but once this kicks into the real song, it's rock solid. I never would have guessed these were fake guitars. The mixing leaves something to be desired for certain, I can understand Larry's concerns. There's too much panning for my tastes (the middle felt empty), and the mixing is a bit cluttered. Overall, it squeaks over though. The arrangement is damn good, which makes up for a lot of the shortcomings.

YES (borderline)

With the recent news of the new Godzilla project from Legendary pictures (proper TOHO Godzilla!)

Yes! Let the toku spirit burn!!!

Also holy shit. This is killer. Really impressive sequencing and such a great, cohesive sound. I don't know why but this has such a Konami sound to it, like something out of the original NES TMNT game. Really excellent.

YES