*NO* Mega Man 9 'Invisible Concrete' *RESUB*

DragonAvenger

So I think you guys still have all the information from the original sub right here: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37293 (the first version of the remix is included in the thread also).

I redid this a long time ago actually, but am now finally getting around to submitting it. I've obviously improved a lot since the last submission - especially noticing how I tend to use a lot more reverb in mixes than I used too. Hopefully that's a good thing!

Thanks for all the advice ya'll provided last time. I also got some side advice from OA via messaging after I was initially ready to resub. He suggested I get rid of some of the blockiness - hopefully it worked out!

P.S. Not sure if it's ok, but I'm attaching the file this time. For some reason my internet isn't allowing me to upload on box or tindeck at all.

--------------

Edited by Liontamer
closed decision

• 2 weeks later...

Your sonics are pretty good. Everything sounds very nice. Unfortunately the writing is a little stiff. Whole note chords get awfully tiresome, and there are a bunch of melodic notes that are dissonant with the harmony, such as at 0:44, 0:49, 1:11, etc. Aside from that, my main problem is the instrumentation is pretty sparse and doesn't move too much aside from the drums. Good start, keep workshopping!

NO

• 3 weeks later...

The sequenced piano at :23 was too mechanical. Though the brighter, airyer sound via the layering at :52 helped mask that better in that section, this generally stuck out throughout the piece.

The layered claps brought in at :07 were OK, but could probably be pulled back a little without leaving the track sounding empty.

I thought the transition back to having the clap beats at 2:39 was too sudden and seemed awkward. I agreed along the lines of Vig that the dynamics here were too flat. While he gave you credit for the percussion, I thought the clap pattern was bland & repetitive over the long run, exacerbated by being so loud and prominent. Some rhythmic variations there (that make sense for you without going overboard) could help spice it up while not dramatically altering your structure, though some instrumental variation or two could be helpful there as well.

Piano needs to be humanized some, the clap pattern needs some variation, and the dynamics could be enhanced a bit without majorly messing with what's already there. Otherwise, some good ideas and good potential. The execution's a bit vanilla right now, but gets most of the way there.

NO (resubmit)