Nintendo Not Holding Regular Conference at E3 This Year

The Damned

I mean yes.... but..

nobody can do anything about it. it's not like them noticing and saying 'yay we're glad they're doing that' changes what they'll do and the reaction it will garner. at all.

Why not?

They can react to this, and put extra effort in knowing they have one less competitor at E3.

They could design their presentation to counter one person rather than 2. They may attempt to garner more time to show more things since a big timeslot was just freed up.

I can think of numerous ways they can capitalise on it and react to that news.

Why not?

They can react to this, and put extra effort in knowing they have one less competitor at E3.

They could design their presentation to counter one person rather than 2. They may attempt to garner more time to show more things since a big timeslot was just freed up.

I can think of numerous ways they can capitalise on it and react to that news.

none of which has direct impact on nintendo at all.

nintendo is still at e3 by the way. nobody has 'one less competitor'

On the stage I mean.

i'm fairly sure they're not having conferences at the same time where they battle back and forth

so no it makes no difference.

i see what you're trying to say but it has no direct relevance. the WORST thing that could happen is some Xbox rep making a 'oh nintendo's scared' joke and nobody caring at all.

I didn't think I would care about Nintendo bringing its regular array of first party games, but overall I'm really excited about seeing what they're bringing this year. 3rd party might be lacking minus indie devs. That's key word "might - don't get offended, still it's nice to see that they're cranking them out. I even heard one of my friends state that he has heard about some of the games coming out and is waiting for a price drop to get Wii U. And he's a hardcore Sony fan. A few friends of mine even mentioned that they are getting the console this winter or when Kart comes about. I think things are looking up for big N. Once they roll out the goods people will take notice. Games are what gamers want to hear about anyway, right? To hell with money-bragging, which is what over half of those big presentations have been about the past few years. I've been a ninty fan for 25 years and even I cringed at the last few E3 presentations from Nintendo.

Nintendo just posted a profit of 72 million dollars.

I'll temper this somewhat by pointing out that this is partially due to a weak yen, and it's following probably their worst couple of quarters fiscally ever. I am a HUGE Ninty fanboy, but the fact remains that if the Wii U doesn't start moving in bigger quantities, it's a big issue for the big N, especially as the system is sold at a loss right now. That right there is extremely uncommon by itself. Usually Nintendo profits right from the beginning.

All this having been said, they have been doing their thing for over a century. I have faith. They know what they're doing, I think. I agree with most of you guys that this is overall a good move. Why waste money on E3's outdated ass when you can keep killing it with your own stuff (Direct)?

If they started doing more Direct Feeds, and had them update and release more info on specific games/series, that would be nice. I'd watch them.

Like, once a month until their release in October, have a Pokémon X/Y Direct Feed (that's about six videos, could even be 5 or 4, depending upon content) that shows all the new stuff. I'd watch the fuck out of those.

New Mario Game? Toss a new Direct Feed out for it, and follow it up with a couple more as it gets closer to release.

Fuck, do that for all the games. Yeah, you'll have to spend more time making the feeds, but come on, it would show that you have content coming out, everyone gets to see it, and you get constant "wow, that's cool" moments until the game is out. Don't want to flood the viewers with info? Don't make too many Direct Feeds, just a few every so often.

Nintendo Direct is more or less a way to combat the gaming press that almost always puts some sort of negative spin on Nintendo, no matter how good or positive the news is.

With most of the gaming press getting their "SONY E3 IZ DA BEST EVA!!" or, "MICROSOFT KILLED IT YO!" statements ready, it's fair to say Nintendo would be wasting their time on a giant conference hall.

All the press complaining about them not doing a big conference sounds like all the whining they did about the year E3 was more focused on games and less on booth babes and overblown sets (2008 I believe). Poor journalists, that E3 felt like work!